God and the World

Author: Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger (later Pope Benedict XVI)

Publication Date: 2002

This book-length conversation between Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger (former Pope of the worldwide Catholic Church) is a must-read for those who desire a comprehensive examination of the faith and its pillars. Much like the Catechism of the Catholic Church, this book covers many - though not quite all - questions any reflective Catholic is likely to ask themselves at some point in their lives.

While this is not as broadly encompassing as the Catechism, with subjects like Islam and, to a lesser extent, sin given little more than a cursory glance, Ratzinger still provides some absolutely wonderful insights regarding a whole range of important concepts. Peter Seewald - though in his defence not always - does ask some pretty lame and patronising questions that are not befitting a man of Ratzinger's theological calibre but, nevertheless, even the weaker questions are usually carried onto a higher level of consideration.

This book, though of significant length, is surprisingly easy to power through, and carries within it much value. I came close to giving it five stars, but I guess, with the understandable intention to make it more accessible, some elements had to be dumbed down by Seewald, and some of the graver areas of the Christian faith were only approached tentatively though still with reverence and wisdom, even if of the human kind.

A beautiful book and well worth reading