Absolute Relativism

Author: Chris Stefanick 

Publication Date: 2011

This provides an adequate introduction into modern day relativistic thought, its contradictions, hypocrisies and dangers if left unchecked. However, I didn't like Stefanick's overall handling of the subject.  This needed to be a little more thorough, theological and academically catered if it wanted to be taken seriously by anyone in need of convincing that relativism is conducive to real systemic intolerance.

He uses too many exaggerations (eg, were it not for Christianity, kids would still be watching gladiator battles in the 21st century), he overgeneralises, and I think he misses the nuance of relativism and its real challenge.

The thing is relativism is a necessary attitude to a certain extent. While it can contribute to the destruction of society and the moral bedrock it is based on, it can still be practiced at least as far as simply accepting that not everyone will believe in the same absolute truth as the other person.

This does not mean any religious culture should compromise its values in order to be more acceptable to non-adherents.  All religions should be allowed to practice peacefully.  This much, at least in theory, is permitted by relativism. However, Stefanick tends to criticise it in a way that - though as a Catholic I generally agree with him - seems way too biased to take all that seriously.