Chapter 5

*** Unknown ***

What I remember from last night was vague but I am certain something happened after I broke down. Someone carried me home when I lost consciousness and I'm sure it's not Nairobi.

I woke up early in the morning to find her sleeping on my sofa. I honestly don't know what to say to her because I feel bad. I hate making people worry and seeing her situation, I owe her big time.

Hindi ko na muna siya ginising at nagbihis na upang bumaba. I couldn't recall my parents coming in or checking up on me so they probably had no idea. Mas mabuti na 'yon kesa mag-alala pa sila. I am fine now but my head kind of still aches a little.

As I descend the stairs, I spot two cars that aren't owned by my family. Yung isa, alam kong kay Robi 'yon pero yung pangalawa, pamilyar lang. I don't think about it too much and just head to the dining room para mag-almusal.

"Manang, may bisita ba tayo?" I inquire as I enter the room dahil bahagya pa rin akong nakatingin sa labas.

Hindi ko man lang namalayan na may kausap pala siya habang nagkakape sila.

"Parang mayroon 'ata, eh. Sino—"

Natigilan akong bumaling sa direksyon ni Manang Louisa at umawang ang aking labi. Nakatingin ako ngayon kay Valerian na nakatitig sa'kin gamit ang seryosong mga mata. Nagulat kaagad si Manang at pinuntahan ako para yakapin—squeezing my face in between her hands.

"Diyos ko, Thylane! Ayos ka na ba? May masakit ba sa'yo?" she's all over me to check if there's anything wrong. I just smile back and shake my head before stopping her.

She doesn't know about this and I'd rather not tell. Ang alam lang niya ay kailangan kong pumunta ng Madrid so that I could be safe. My family's enemies are strong and cunning. They will use me to provoke or weaken my father. There were numerous threats before my dad was the prosecutor of the case that shook the entire country; the People of the Philippines vs. Castillo Marquesa. It got worse when the trial began and it took so long for it to be over therefore they had more time to cause harm to people that were getting in the way of their schemes.

Castillo was a business tycoon before his conviction. His company was involved in a wide span of industries including power, banking, and land development. He had an affair with another woman and they had a son. The mistress told him that even if they had a divorce, they'd still be around and clung on him like a leech because of his money. They're the legimate children of Castillo so technically they had the right while she's just a mistress and her son is the seedling of his infidelity.

What did these two fuckers do? They hired someone to kill his entire family while they were sleeping in their million-dollar mansion in Bulacan with a very tight security and no possible way for anyone to break in. It's said to be a fortress but that night, the guards and the supposed security of their estate "mysteriously weren't there".

His wife, one daughter, and two sons where found dead while Castillo only got a gunshot wound on his thigh. None of them survived but him.

These people were so dumb but they had the money and power so it was long before he was even arrested. They knew my father's gonna be involved and everyone knew he's good. They plan to eliminate his family as well. Hence, the car 'accident'. There were clearly several people shooting at us—not just messing with the car itself. They denied the accusations they caused it but he was later found guilty of murder, a few months after I was sent to Spain that year. His mistress was sent to prison for being an accomplice.

"Maayos na ako, Manang. Wala na po kayong dapat alalahanin. Kumalma na nga ho kayo. Baka tumaas pa yung blood pressure mo, sige ka," I assure her and lighten the mood.