Chapter 7

*** Falling ***

"You can't keep sending her back to Spain, Davina. For once, we will listen to what she wants and if she chooses to stay, we will respect her wishes," rinig kong argumento ni Daddy habang pababa ako sa hagdanan kinaumagahan.

I stop taking a step to listen. I bite my lower lip and nervously stand there; waiting for them to talk more before I show myself.

"Are you insane, Luke? We listened to what she wanted and look what happened! Our daughter almost got killed! We can't keep risking it!" stress na sabi ni mommy.

"We'll find a way to strengthen the security if she wants to remain here. If she decides to stay, we can't deprive her of that. This is where her life is," Dad fires back and Mom frustratingly groans.

Napapikit ako. This is gonna turn into a fight and my parents rarely fight. I understand both of what they mean but it all comes down to me–if I agree to mom's decision or if I choose to have my own decision.

My heart warms up because of what my father said. He has always supported my choices at kahit ayaw man ni Mommy, natatanggap niya rin kalaunan.

"You think this isn't hard for me, too? To send my daughter away while we're here? We can't always be with her if she's in Europe, Luke. But if this is the best choice we've got, we have to do it," my Mom's voice breaks.

Rinig ko ang paggalaw ng upuan dahil sa pagtayo ni Daddy upang daluhan ang aking ina.

"This isn't the best choice we've got, Dav. She's older now. She can decide for herself and we will accept it—support it," he comforts her in a soft, reassuring tone.

Pinagpatuloy ko ang pagbaba sa natitirang hakbang ng hagdanan para makapunta sa dining room at magpakita na sa kanila. My mom immediately shoos my dad away kaya wala itong nagawa kundi bumalik sa kanyang inuupuan. It doesn't seem like he wanted to leave her side pero pinandilatan siya ni Mommy. Maliit akong ngumiti.

I approach them one by one to greet 'good morning' and kiss their cheeks. My mom wipes her face off before I could come closer, trying to hide the traces of tears.

"How's your sleep, my dear?" nakangiting sabi ng aking ina but I can still pick up her sniffles. Dad offers her his handkerchief ngunit tiningnan niya lang ito ng masama.

They're trying to pretend like nothing happened and Dad has only one job yet he continues to blow it off even though it's obvious. I laugh a little.

"I slept like a baby, mom," I answer to alleviate the mood.

I fell asleep pondering where my phone could've been. I had a nightmare but I didn't want to mention it.

"I might as well add, you do sleep like a baby," biro ni Daddy kaya mahina kaming napatawa.

"How's Tony, Mom? I haven't seen her in a while. She's probably wondering why I haven't paid a visit yet," I ask as I sit down in front of her habang nasa gilid namin si Daddy na syang nakaupo sa gitna. Manang Louisa and the others went inside to prepare the food on the table.

"She's alright, hija. Isabella is constantly checking and observing her to see if she's fit to travel to Japan," she musters an assuring smile kaya tumango ako.

"I just want to say something and I want you guys to tell me what you think after I finish," I say hesitantly and it capture their attention in a snap. Nagkatinginan silang dalawa. Tumango lang ang aking ama.

"Okay, Thylane. What is it?" nag-aalalang tanong ni Mommy.

I let out a sigh before saying anything. "If you plan to send me to Madrid and if you're already fixed on that resolution, I will not oppose to it. I just want to say what I feel first."