22. Fragmented Past

Iftia: Lyx Palace, Matrimonial Bedchamber

Elianna

Somehow, she had fallen asleep while holding onto Rowan. Now that she's awake again, he was nowhere in sight.

Her hand brushed against the sheets on his side of the bed, realising that it had turned cold with no remnant of his body warmth. Propping herself up on one arm, she peered out of the window and there was no sign of daylight. It was still dark outside and the dead silence remained of every cold wintry night. She tugged the blankets aside and got out of the bed to grab a thick mantle off the hanger. She hugged onto another, the one that belonged to Rowan. Sighing, she knew that this man never stopped making her worry.

Leaving the bedchamber, she walked down the hallway and stopped to ask the guards if they had seen Rowan. Each of them pointed her and guided her path. Eventually, she stopped right in front of an elaborately decorated door which led to a room that she had never chanced upon. Pushing down on the door handle, she quietly opened the door and heard Rowan breathing out a laugh, "Don't you ever sleep?"

"You're not in bed with me," she muttered softly before she noticed that he jumped a little at her voice and turned around to look at her with wide eyes, seemingly not expecting her. She peered into those startling cerulean eyes that were shining in a vibrant shade of blue that never failed to captivate her every single time. Yet, beneath the beauty, she could also see the fractured soul that lay within. She wanted to walk towards him but afraid that she would be intruding him, she wanted to hold him close to her if he would allow it.

"I thought it was Ilias," Rowan chuckled. "Why are you hiding behind the door, love? You can come in."

"Sorry for intruding, I only wanted to check on you," she said, stepping into the room and walked down the gallery to join him at the end. "Are you okay?"

"Come here, love," he smiled endearingly towards her and opened his arms to welcome her into his embrace. As he wrapped his arms around her, he rested his chin on top of her head. He assured, "With you, I'll always be more than okay."

She returned the hug and turned her head towards the large pointing that hung against the deep blue wall ahead of them. It was a portrait of a beautiful woman and a child who smiled widely while settled on her lap. Drawing in a shallow breath, she had recognised the woman from Rowan's memories. While listening to the firm beat of his heart, he also heard him saying, "Mother, Lyra. This is my lovely wife, Elianna."

"Rowan," she whispered his name, unsure what to say as she tipped her head back to face him before looking towards the painting on the wall again. Wiggling out of his hold, she opened up the folded mantle in her arms and draped it across his shoulders. She scolded lightly, "Mother and Lyra would be angry if they saw how much you aren't taking good care of yourself."

"They would be glad that I have a wife who takes care of me," he chuckled softly, tangling his fingers into her hair as he played with the wavy strands. He tugged lightly on her arm and pulled her into his warmth again, murmuring, "Aren't you tired, love?"