43. I will be watching over you

They were silently standing next to each other and just glancing into each other's eyes. Dr. Ross couldn't pretend that she wasn't surprised by FP's decision, because the truth was, she didn't even expect that he would make such a decision. Even though she was glad, that there was hope for Alice, her heart started to beat faster while hearing FP's words about giving his heart away to save the love of his life.

"Are you sure? Because there will be no way back." The woman finally spoke up after a few minutes of staring at him. He needed to be sure, that FP knew what he was up to.

"Yes, I do." He didn't even need to consider anything. He made his decision and nothing could change his mind. Although he wished that it could have been another way to save Alice, he was the only one who could do it.

"What about the kids?" Dr. Ross asked him calmly. She wished he would have changed his mind while she reminded him about the children. The heart transplant didn't give 100% that Alice will survive the operation, but it gave her a chance to try. As much as she cared about her patient she was worried about the kids and the risk that they would lose not only one parent, but two.

"They are almost grown up and one day they will understand why I did it." FP made himself clear and the woman just simply nodded while hearing his confident voice.

From the one side, the fact that the man standing next to her wanted to give his heart away for the woman he loved was making her tear up, but from the other, the thought of the kids was driving her insane. But they had no other choice, so she agreed and decided to take a risk. For Alice.

***

FP was all alone in the room, preparing himself for the operation. He couldn't say, h wasn't scared. He was so fucking terrified and all of the questions 'what if...?' were bothering him even more than before. But he had no other choice. They had no other choice.

He was sitting on the bed already dressed up in that fucked up blue clothing, waiting for Dr. Ross to show up. He decided not to tell the kids himself about what was about to happen, but instead of it, Dr. Ross suggested he leave them a note.

She was right, he couldn't just leave them without the word, but it was the first time he started to think about someone else than his kids. To be honest it wasn't as simple as it looked like. He was doing it for the love of his life, but also for their kids who needed to have a mother. Alice had always loved his kids like her own and had been a wonderful mom to them. He was sure, that nothing would change after all.

Kids!

I'm writing this letter to say goodbye. I need to admit, that I didn't have enough courage to tell you about all of this by myself. I decided to give my heart away to save Alice. One day you will understand why I made such a decision and maybe you will be thankful for what I've done. I would like to thank you all and one of each about turning my life upside down in the most beautiful way every parent can only dream about.

First of all, I would like to thank you, Jughead. Thank you for believing in me, when I didn't believe in myself. For just being with me when I needed you the most. I knew, that the things between us were complicated for too long, and believe me, If I could take it back to the start, I would do everything to be a better father from the very beginning. I hope that you will always remember me as a good father, but what's more important to me, as a loyal friend. Don't give up on writing, because one day your talent will change the world. I know, that you can do this, boy!

My sweet Betty. I just want you to remember, that I always loved you like my daughter. I'm thankful, that I had a chance to meet you and wish we had more time to spend together. Don't change yourself. You are such a beautiful, compassionate, and helpful soul. Don't look back. Just remember about everything you achieved and make your dreams come true. I wish you all the best because that's what you deserve. Please, look after Jug, so that he wouldn't do anything more stupid than usual. I'm grateful, that my son found a soulmate in you.

Jellybean, my little princess. I'm sorry, that I wasn't watching you learn how to ride a bike, didn't learn you how to swim or watch your school performances. I want you to know, that all of the years I spend without you were the hardest one for me. I was regretting letting your mother take you to Toledo with her every single day. I know, that I let you go too many times, but I want you to remember, that I always loved you and always will. Please, don't lose your hope, happiness and still be the sunshine for your family. You deserve to have a mother like Alice who loves you unconditionally and has faith in you. I love you, my baby girl.

Dear Polly. I wish we had more time to know each other better. You are a smart, beautiful, and loving person with the cutest twins I've ever seen. I'm thankful, that you let me into your life after what I was involved in. I'm sure that one day you will meet a person who will be your soulmate, who will love you and your beautiful kids as much as I loved your mother for all my life. Please, take a look for JB from time to time and be as amazing sister to her as amazing mother you are to Juniper and Dagwood. Thank you for letting me be a granddad to them for a little while. Tell them, that I will always be close to them.

Charles, my son. I love you, despite everything you've told us. I hope that you will forgive me that I wasn't a father to you from the very beginning. You are just like your mother. Smart, caring, and helpful. Please, help your mother while I will be gone. She will need you. Your siblings will need you. You are the best FBI agent I've ever meet. Don't give up on your dreams and desires, just keep going. You are the living proof of the love of your mother and I. I love you, Charlie.

Please, help your mom. Remember, that I will always be close to you and I love you all equally. Thank you for giving me a chance to make my life count.

He was reading the letter once again and finally decided to sign it. Not as FP Jones, the Sheriff of Riverdale or leader of a Southside Serpents community, but as a father of five incredible kids. Charles, Polly, Betty, Jughead and his baby girl, Jellybean.

I will be watching over you,

Dad.

FP took his phone from the little table and opened a photo of their family. They took it on Charles's birthday. He teared up a little while seeing all of the familiar faces and the incredible smiles of his beautiful kids.

He swiped right to see another photo and let the tears stream down his cheeks the second he saw the photo of him and Alice smiling through the kiss. He remembered this moment pretty well. Jughead took the picture while JB took the garden hose and started to 'make a rain'. It was one of the moments he knew he will miss the most.

"Mr. Jones, are you ready to go?" He raised his sight once he heard Dr. Ross's voice which ripped his out of his thoughts. It wasn't easy to answer, but he nodded.

"Can you give the letters to the kids and Alice when she will wake up?" FP looked at the envelopes once more right before handing them towards the woman who took the papers from him with a slight smile on her face.

After just a while he was in the operating room waiting for the operation to start. He watched Dr. Ross who entered the OR already dressed in the mask and gloves. The woman assured him, that the kids will receive the letter, so will Alice. The nurse placed a mask with narcosis on FP's mouth and explained, that he would be feeling sleepy in a few minutes.

Suddenly, he wasn't afraid anymore. The only thing that counted for him was that Alice would have a chance to live her life. He smiled slightly to himself and noticed his eyelids were heavier than before. He closed his eyes and let himself fall asleep thinking about how Alice made him the happiest man in the whole fucking world.