Chapter 14//Last Chapter

"Ready to go?" Eliza asked Maria.

"Yeah, I'm ready. I just hope everybody likes me."

"Are you kidding me? They do. Come on, let's go, okay?" Eliza linked her arm with Maria's and they walked over to Peggy's dorm.

IDK why this sounds so much like the beginning of the first chapter but just go with the flow

They were the last ones to arrive, or so they thought. Just as they settled themselves down on the floor, the door opened again and Thomas Jefferson walked in, holding Sally's hand.

"I hope it's okay that I brought him," Sally announced cheerfully.

"Yeah, sure," Eliza said, faking a smile.

But Jefferson didn't say anything. He sat down quietly and waited for the game to start.

They played a few rounds before Thomas got up and went to use the bathroom.

"What happened?" Alex whispered. "Normally he'd be smack talking all of us!"

"Didn't you hear?" Maria whispered. "His best friend died a few months ago."

"No! Seriously?" Angelica muttered.

"Yeah," Maria responded. "His best friend James Madison died of lung cancer in June."

"Oh my god. No way," Eliza whispered.

Then Jefferson came back in and everyone resumed playing. No drinking. No crazy dares. Everything was quiet and innocent.

"Well, that was insane," Maria said after they were safely back in their dorm.

"Yeah, no kidding," Eliza answered, changing into a T-shirt and pajama pants. "I can't believe Madison died."

"You knew him?" Maria asked, surprised.

"Yeah, I would hang out with Laf and Alex and John and Hercand Thomas would hang out with Laf and Madison would hang out with Thomas. Ididn't know him that well, he was just this small kid who was always sick, but...it's still kind of hard to believe he's gone."

Maria finished brushing her teeth and came over and hugged Eliza. "I know. Thomas is devastated. I didn't know him that well, either, but James Reynolds was at Jefferson's place and of course I was with him when he got the call from the hospital. We were some of the first people to know."

They were quiet for a while and then Maria spoke. "Madison wasn't lucky...but I am. I don't know where I'd be if I hadn't met you."

Eliza gave her girlfriend a big hug. "Probably friendless and alone."

"Ha-ha, very funny, missy."

"We should probably go to bed."

"Yeah, I'm tired."

After the girls were snuggled down into blankets, Maria said quietly, "Hey, Eliza?"

"Yes?"

"I love you."

THE END

Whaaat I can't believe this is over. Took me like two weeks to write. I was super unmotivated at the end so I tried to wrap it up neatly without doing like a crappy ending. And I'm sorry about Madison and sorry about not putting like Lee and Seabury and King George and Washingdad in here but...anyway I might come out with a Jeffmads fanfiction soon

Thanks for reading! ILYSM!