Page 14 - Arrested

Page 14 - Arrested

I waited for the end

That didn’t really come.

Dahil may tunog ng baril na ang lapit-lapit lang. Nabingi ako nito at ang mga sumunod na pangyayari ay napakabilis. Someone pulled me almost at the same time of the gunshot and I found myself slumped against a warm, hard chest, the scent of grapes and far away Italian orchards invading my nose.  

“Am I dead?” bigkas ko, sapagkat kung may amoy man ang langit, amoy grapes ang langit ko.

The warm chest vibrated, “No. I won’t let anyone kill you, my Willow Tree.”

Gumilid ang luha sa mga mata ko at tumingala ako upang siguraduhin na totoo siya, na narito siya, “Vincentte..” posible palang iiyak ang isang pangalan dahil iyon ang kaggagawa ko lang.

I cried his name.

“I love you. I’m sorry. I love you, Vincentte.” With that near death experience, I'm just thankful for this chance, to tell him these words.

He kissed me on the forehead, “I know.” Then his eyes went to something behind me at napakunot ang noo niya. Kaagad akong bumaling patalikod and some meters away from me was Undefeated being held by two men wearing joker masks. Napapalibutan rin kami ng marami pang taong nakamaskarang joker. They formed a circle around us. May mga kasamahan rin silang pinapalabas ang mga tao.

‘Yung syringe na hawak ni Undefeated ay nasa semento, basag, at nagkalat ang itim na likido mula rito. May mga taong balot mula ulo hanggang paa ang nakapalibot at mukhang nililinis ang kalat.

Nang medyo umayos ang pandinig ko, noon ko napagtanto na ang inakala kong maingay na static ay boses pala ni Undefeated na umaalulong. There’s a bullet hole on her right hand, the hand holding the syringe previously, at dumudugo iyon.

“I know she hasn’t injected anything, but just making sure, may mahapdi ba sa balat mo?” tanong ni Vincentte.

“W-Wala naman.” I'm slightly disoriented but it’s because of the shock from the gunshot.

“Mihiko!” nag-aalalang sigaw ng isang pamilyar na boses.

I looked at him. He looked so worried and he was about to run towards Undefeated direction when I saw this person who passed through smoothly against the circle of people wearing joker mask.

“I’m afraid you can’t help her this time.” saad ng bagong dating na babae. Medyo pamilyar ang itsura niya but I couldn’t place it where I've seen that face before.

That person was holding a gun. Her long black hair in a ponytail. Black eyes glittering. She held the barrel of the gun upwards at nakita kong medyo umuusok pa 'yon.

That’s how I realized that girl was the one who fired a shot against Undefeated na naging dahilan kaya nabitawan nito ang syringe.

Napabaling si Zenair sa direksyon ng babae, “You…” bakas ang inis sa boses ni Zenair, “What have you done, Emperor’s Heir?”

I watched the woman smirked, “I prefer you call me by my name.”

“I’m not playing with you, Zony Evviola.” banta ni Zenair.

Nanlaki ang mga mata ko.

Zony? Zony Evviola?

Isn’t that…Kuya Ethan's girlfriend?

“Hindi rin ako naglalaro kaya pasalamat ka.” Malamig ang pagkakasabi niya nito. “Because I'm not playing, one of Doc Z's friends is here, treating the wound of your twin sister.”

Isang tao lang ay may sugat sa loob ng Universe Hall. Ibig sabihin, Zenair and Undefeated…are siblings?

“You shot Mihiko.”

Mihiko…I assumed that’s Undefeated real name ay ginagamot na ngayon ng isang doctor.

“And you planted a vein bomb on my men and drugged important people in my life against their will.” Pinaikot-ikot ni Ate Zony ang baril sa daliri niya. Her eyes went to me, mine widened in admiration. I want to be like her. Ate Zony is so badass! “And you’re torturing that girl, turning her into a slave? That’s my boyfriend’s sister, you asshole!”

“It’s a fair arrangement between us, Emperor’s Heir.” bato ni Zenair.

“I don’t care what’s fair in your definition. From an outsider point of view, you’re manipulating her all these time. The reason? I have no idea but that’s enough, Economy, let the Gamber go.”

“You don’t have the right to interfere, Underworld heiress or else you won’t like the consequences.” Zenair's voice turned taunting. “I heard money is a great problem in the Mafia Famiglia right now? Your Uncle is being overwhelmed by debts and payments to cash out huh.”

Galit na napangiti si Ate Zony. Nangigil siya sa baril na kaniyang hawak. “You bastard…sabi ko na nga ba ikaw ang nasa likod n'on.”

“You see, you don’t want me as an enemy, Emperor's Heir. I’m way beyond your league.”

“Ha!” Ate Zony exhaled loudly. “Underestimation is your bane, Economy.”

May isang panibagong babaeng lumusot mula sa human barrier. She looked older compared to Ate Zony. I also watched Zenair stiffened on place. Nanlilisik ang mga mata ng babae habang nakatingin kay Zenair.

“Humanity…” anas ni Zenair.

“Economy and Tradition,” napatigil sa pag-alulong si Undefeated nang marinig ang boses ng bagong dating, “The Power Assembly demands your willing submission to me. A trial is waiting for both of you.”

“No!” mahabang sigaw ni Undefeated.

“What’s your basis?” kalmadong tanong ni Zenair.

Lumingon ang babae kay Undefeated, “Tradition has been playing against a potential biochemical weapon,” ibinalik nito ang tingin kay Zenair, “And you. You’re turning someone into a slave, quite literally, I thought you were just joking before. I don’t approve slavery, Economy.”

The terms they’re calling each other…Economy, Tradition, Humanity. Just who the hell are these people?

“The bill you submitted hasn’t been approved yet, Humanity.” sagot ni Zenair.

The mysterious woman gave Zenair a cold smile, “It has been approved…just today.” Zenair stiffened again. The woman they’re calling Humanity was now smirking, “You have violated my law, Economy and Tradition, and both of you shall pay.”

May inilabas na scroll yung Humanity at ipinakita ang laman nito kay Zenair, “Economy and Tradition, you’re hereby arrested for crimes against Humanity. Underworld acts as witness to your transgression not to mention I've seen enough.” Her smile turned colder. “You two are hereby stripped off your title as leaders of The Power Assembly unless proven innocent of your alleged crimes.”