Chapter 3

It had been almost 3 weeks since Neal arrived in Storybrooke. Every day he would add a new person to his list of people who were stuck doing something repeatedly that they shouldn't. It wasn't just Ashley anymore; Neal found others who needed help. But one thing he realized was he couldn't see his father. After that first day with Ashley and almost going to hurt his father, Neal realized it would be stupid. The Dark One would most likely be awake, and if he wasn't then, he set up a word to wake him up. This would be useless as Ashley won't have the baby until Emma gets to Storybrooke in 10 freaking long years. Instead, he kept to his smaller tasks, carrying Ashley's basket, fixing a roof, and more. Everything Neal did would only last 24 hours; it became more concrete as Neal noticed people said even the exact same words every day. Luckily the Queen never bumped into Neal during his daily routine, but he was pretty sure that she would think he was frozen like the rest of them by now. As long as Neal could make those days not feel like crap for all of the Storybrooke citizens, he was doing the right thing.

It made him understand why it was so important that he left Emma. Neal knew how bad the enchanted forest could be, and now these people had to live out torture that must have felt never-ending. Every time he thought of going back home to Emma, he remembered all the people here who needed his help.

But once he was done with those daily chores, Neal would always use the spare time to learn more about what everyone did each day.  Neal thought he found Emma's mother. He never met the official Snow White but watching her Disney movie sure did help. Black hair, pale skin, and a kind demeanor. She was a teacher at the school that all the children went to. He imagined bringing Emma here to meet her, finally finding her family. The woman who didn't even spend a day with her newborn daughter.

Emma hadn't called him over the past few weeks. While he knew she could take care of herself, he got curious. There was a limit to how alone Emma Swan liked to be. Neal asked August to find a way to contact her. Maybe she left the hotel for a few days. He was able to find them after running away to Tallahassee; Neal was sure this was in his skill set.

Neal was on his way to August's car to get an update on Emma. When Neal got into the seat next to August, he noticed August had a suspicious look.

"Where is she, August? Is she okay?" Neal had to know. Especially if he was going to really leave her.

"You don't want to know Neal, what I did for you both." August looked away from Neal. "I made a deal. You are now a free man Neal, you won't get arrested from your thing with the watches. I couldn't clear your other crimes, though."

Neal was shocked; he wouldn't face a year of jail time. There had to be a catch. "Where is Emma, August? What did you do?"

"She's in prison. Now before you beat me to a bloody pulp, I want to explain." August held his hands up, asking for mercy.

Prison. August called her in to get him free. Emma was in jail. Alone. Nothing. "You have 5 minutes, August. Or else I promise I will take this car and run you over. Then go and turn myself in and get her out." Neal felt his body heat with anger.

"One of you was going to be arrested, Neal. It was either you or her. Either way, you both get some time away from each other. But only Emma being in jail would mean we both won't have to chase after her for the next while. She'll learn that a life of crime is a stupid path to go down. She has no idea I set this up Neal, she also has no idea if you did. Which means you could still visit her if the prison allows it, or call her. It's why she hasn't called Neal, she can't."
August explained. It was the best option, Neal had to see that. He knew Storybrooke was growing on Neal, which would mean he would finally realize the importance of Emma changing her ways. Or at least he would if he remained rational.