Chapter 10

Neal opened the only door that wasn't ajar. Emma was sitting on the floor, just in her bra and underwear crying. She was curled up in the fetal position. Emma must have fallen to the floor before curling up like that; he saw nothing else scattering the floor that would make such a noise.

Emma sniffled, "Leave me alone, Neal. Just leave me alone." She began to shake.

"Not until I know you're alright, are you hurt? I heard a loud fall." Neal turned around and faced the hallway, "Tell me when I can turn back around." It wasn't right for him to stare at her body, especially now that they were broken up.

Emma grabbed her blanket from her bed and wrapped herself up, "I had some pain and dizziness, being clumsy as I am, I fell. I'm fine, as good as can be."

Neal turned back around and looked at her blotchy teary face. Emma might be the only one who detects lies, but it wasn't hard to see that Emma wasn't alright. "Is there something you can take for this pain? Part of that new medical condition?"

"I have no medical condition Neal. I have a broken heart and body that's taking too long to heal." Emma pulled her hair back from her face; her makeup was a wreck.

Neal slowly walked up to Emma and sat on the floor across from her, "A broken heart doesn't make you fall to the floor. I would know...can we talk?"

"We are talking, your lucky I don't have the energy to scream at you." Emma yawned, her cups of caffeine must have been wearing off.

"I'll ask one question, and you'll ask one question. No BS. We each get a pass just in case we can't answer something." Neal held out his hand for Emma to shake.

"I'm not touching you. But yes, we have a deal." Emma readjusted her blanket over her, basically the naked body. "Why did you come on my birthday with my boxes?"

"I needed to see you again. I hate the way I ended things and wanted to request some sort of forgiveness. I thought of asking you on the day your parents left might put you in a more forgiving mood." Neal noticed Emma picked up; he was genuine. She gave a slight nod.

"Are you happy here? Is Sky trustworthy?" Neal was concerned for her wellbeing, even if Emma didn't want him to be. AT least now, they were on neutral terms.

"I'm living day by day. I don't know if Sky and her mother plan to kill me in the middle of the night, and I don't know them very well. But from what I could tell, they are good people who want to help. Sky saved me in prison multiple times. Taught me the lay of the land and took care of me when I...after you." Emma sighed, "While this might not be permanent, at least I'm not living in the bug again." It wasn't hard for them to pick up on each other's cues. Both wanted to avoid the real tough questions; it would hurt more if the other avoided it. "That day when Sky called you...have you been with anyone since you broke up with me?"

"No kissing or anything else." Was Emma jealous? Neal blushed, "That phone call was with someone who was threatening me. By threatening you, Emma. She was going to come after you, so I did what I had to do."

"You broke up with me in prison because this woman was threatening to kill me. While I was in prison surrounded by guards 24/7." Emma began to laugh, "You can't be serious. You left me to take your time in a cell, to have that on my record. But do you know what else you left me with? Other than a broken heart?" Emma began to have a mixture of crying and laughter.

He was perplexed with how Emma was reacting. Of course, she wouldn't realize that he was nervous about once she got out. He wasn't specific enough. But watching Emma break down like this wasn't something he expected.

Emma slowly unwrapped the blanket surrounding her, allowing Neal to take a good look at her body. She wiped the tears from her eyes, "I was pregnant."