Chapter 8

Emma was walking back from a check-up at the infirmary. They told Emma to slow down; if she continued to work at her current pace, she would restrict her healing process. The body can get exhausted quickly and needs time to heal, the doctor kept saying. Which sucked because it was one of the few things she could do to get rid of uncomfortable thoughts. They even wanted her to meet with a psychiatrist, Emma refused.

She walked back to her cell, followed by a guard like always, but she was nervous this time. When she returned to her room, Emma would meet her new roommate. It would only last for two weeks, and then Emma would be a free woman. But she knew that having a guest would be helpful for her mental health. A roommate didn't seem as nerve-wracking as a therapist.

Emma noticed the girl from the back, long brown hair, and a similar height. But when the guard opened the cell door, the girl turned around. She looked just as shocked as Emma was. Lilith Page, her former best friend, was in the exact same prison as Emma.

The guard shoved Emma back into her cell and closed the door. Emma went straight to her bed and laid down; she would deal with this after a nap. It wasn't smart to get angry when tired. Emma stayed up all night feeling anxious for the many worries, and meeting Lily again wasn't helping.

Lily stopped setting up her few items, she just looked at Emma, "Twist of fate. I'm really not surprised anymore." She smirked, "You look different. Older and put on some pounds."

"Thanks for the compliment." Emma snapped, "Now, can you let me take a nap like a decent human being?"

"I'm glad you're here with me, Emma, it means I didn't screw things over because of your parents. It means we both did what we had to do." Lily laid down on her bed as well, so she could have eye contact with Emma.

"My parents? Are you listening to yourself, Lily? I have absolutely no idea who they are, but you obviously know that already." Emma rolled her eyes; she knew that Sky was lying, at least partially, but she couldn't exactly tell where. Emma wouldn't get to sleep after all.

"You don't know who they are, but I have some idea. Plus, I was told who my mother is, my birth mother." Lily told Emma, playing with a bright red rubber ball throwing it up and catching it.

"Who are they?" Emma asked, wanting to know more, ignoring the need to take a nap. How did the prison even allow in a bouncy ball? Emma wasn't allowed to bring a harmless MP3 player.

"They are bad people, Emma, con people. They make everyone think they are the nicest people, but really they don't care for anyone, not even two babies, one of them is you."

"I have a sibling who they also abandoned?" Emma was beginning to realize this would mean that horrible decision making was most likely part of her genetic makeup. Oh no, what would her son be doing?

"Not a sibling. They stole a baby from someone else and then threw her away, the same way they threw you away. Me." Lily gestured to herself, "That's why we are so connected, Emma, and won't stop seeing each other. Our destinies are connected because of your parents."

Emma closed her eyes, trying to comprehend what Lily was saying. Her parents not only left Emma on the side of the road, but they also stole a different baby, Lily, and then disposed of her as well. "Now, I'm glad that I don't know them."

"You'll meet them, it'll take some years, but I'm sure you will." Lily had a wicked glint in her eye.

"Have you become a prophet? How did you even get put in jail here in Phoenix? Last time we saw each other, you were heading to Pittsburgh on a bus." Emma turned toward Lily. The jail was right up Lily's alley, staying in the exact same cell as Emma was extraordinary.