Counterbalnce

I get up early to shower and go for a run then to the gym before karate practice I get there dad makes us do 50 push-ups on our knuckles then he put like padding on us and brings out a baseball machine and he wants us to block the balls I go and block all of them and put holes in the walls and ceiling.

Miguel on the other hand not so much he struggled we spared Miguel went first dad put him in a choke hold and tried to tap "there's no taping in karate" dad tells him.

Miguel you've been working out more right" I ask him "yeah when sensei told us to I started" he tells me I nod "I go on runs every morning and go to the gym your welcome to come man" I say he agrees.

The next day dad and him are sparing when he beats dad and sweeps his leg then he pushes the button and a baseball comes flying at Miguel and hits his ear "what what what the hell that wasn't fair" he says on his hands and knees holding his ear as dad gets up.

"You want a fair fight dream on your enemies wont play by the rules" he tells him "yeah but......my ear" he says in pain "what if that baseball was your enemies friend coming at you from behind? Yo I have to be prepared for everything" he says as Miguel shows us his ear is like purple it looks bad.

"No it's fine don't be a baby" he tells us as the yoga people walk in and dad ends practice.
-
The next day I was at the dojo way before Miguel so dad and I spared and did some pad work so that when Miguel came I could help him.

Miguel was doing pads with dad "what's the second rule in the way of the fist "strike hard" Miguel says "that's right" dad says as Miguel does a combo "there's only one reason to hit someone to inflict pain stoking hard is about giving your all" he says as Miguel does a jab straight uppercut combo then the door opens and a girl walks in.

"No yoga till 5 no matter how much you need it" dad tells her "um I'm actually here for karate I saw your website it said there's supposed to be a lesson today" she says to dad he looks at her.

"I appreciate you coming in but there's no girls in cobra Kai" dad tells her I look at him "why not" she asks "same reason women aren't in the army doesn't make sense" he says nodding "uh Damon sensei I need to show you something in the office we step of the mat and bow and walk into his office.

"Don't give me the sexist bullshit women just aren't meant to fight they have tiny hallow bones" dad says "but aren't you desperate for new students?" Miguel asks I nod "she's a paying customer we need the money" I say "yes but this isn't a knitting class this is a dojo" dad says and I can see we're he's coming from but we need the students.

"Look at school kids call her names make fun of her" Miguel says and I shake my head "that's what happened when you eat a box of Twinkie's everyday" dad says "listen Miguel i agree with you but she clearly doesn't care about herself so why should she care what others say but dad you should accept girls though we need the students and even if she doesn't cut it take her money until we get our name out there and get some real students" I say as dad nods.

"Her dads Isaiah Robinson" Miguel says and I look at him "the hall of fame lineman for the chargers" he tells us "so you're saying it's genetic her love for Twinkies comes from her dad?" Dad asks him "or maybe he's saying she's loaded so we can charge her more for more money" I say dad nods "exactly Damon I'm saying her family is loaded and she's a paying customer" he says dad finally agrees we walk out.

"Ok take off your shoes hop on the mat" she does exactly that "ok after further review I've decided to allow female students but if you wanna be in cobra Kai you can't act like a girl" he says to her Miguel shakes his head "he ain't wrong" I whisper I'm Miguel's ear he nod "I know I just wish he wasn't so blunt" he says to me.