Chapter 3: Downstage

The Neighbourgoods Rooftop Market was an escape. The two-storey location offered its visitors the opportunity to unwind; to act and dress like muses sipping on cocktails and champagne while nursing hangovers from the night before. So when he arrived, dressed casually in denim jeans and a white shirt, KB wasn't surprised to find the majority of the market goers donning black shades like himself, which they occasionally removed to rub at the throbbing temples of their heads.

KB made his way towards the food stalls on the first floor of the building, which was already buzzing with people. Some were seated at tables scattered around the space where they drank and ate, breaking bread in small groups between animated conversations. Others wandered between food stalls, taking selfies and videos that would later reappear, shinier and perfect, on Instagram. KB realized, seeing this, that everyone formed part of a group; he was the only one who had arrived alone.

KB settled for some Chinese dumplings and a bottle of champagne – his usual order – and paid for both using his phone before making his way towards an empty seat at a half-occupied table.

"Can I sit here?" KB asked

The group of three girls turned to look KB up and down, the expressions on their made-up faces blank like canvases. Neither of them said a word to KB as he sat down. Fucking fans, he thought to himself while he tucked into his meal.

"Anyways..." said the girl seated nearest to KB, rolling her eyes. Her hair was slicked back into a fake ponytail that stretched down to her waist, and she looked like the leader of the group. She turned back towards her friends; "like I was saying, did you guys see Kamo at the Harem nightclub last night?"

"I didn't see her! But I heard she was looking like success!" replied the other girl sitting opposite Miss Ponytail. She, on the other hand, had a lace-front wig parted along the top of her head, the shoulder-length hair dropping down both sides of her face like a waterfall.

"If I was Lesedi I would definitely be afraid." Miss Ponytail responded "Kamo is definitely the next 'it' girl!"

"If I was Kamo I would watch my back." said the third girl in the group. She had been quiet all along and swept her long braids over her shoulder as she spoke "Remember how Lesedi got to the top? Nothing is stopping Kamo from doing the same. And that probably terrifies Lesedi." She smirked at her friends after speaking, feeling proud of the tea she had just spilled.

"Dumplings and champagne? Interesting combination" a familiar voice said behind KB, interrupting the girls' conversation. 

KB turned around, and so did the girls seated around him.

Mbali was standing behind KB, smiling, a bottle of champagne gripped in each of her hands. She was stylishly dressed in a skirt and crop-top.

"Mbali? What are you doing here?" KB asked, almost choking on his food.

"You do know I have other friends besides you, right?" Mbali responded "Come, I've got a table upstairs on the roof deck."

***

The roof deck of the Neighbourgoods Rooftop Market was packed to capacity, and KB tried his best not to drop his dumplings and champagne as he trailed behind Mbali. A stage had been set up along the periphery of the roof deck, and there were a handful of tables in front of it, all of them full except one, which stood glaringly empty.

"I wasn't expecting to see you here. You and the other boys got pretty drunk last night" Mbali said as they made their way towards an occupied table.

"Yeah..." KB said "I thought I would just come and check out the vibe."

"Ok, well... Let me introduce you to some of my friends" Mbali said, grabbing KB by the arm with surprising strength.