Chapter 11: 1:29am

The parking lot was empty at 23:59 pm when KB brought his car to a stop. The McDonalds in front of him was busy, which was unusual for that time of the night on a week day, but KB thought nothing more of it as he leaned back in his car seat. There were more pressing issues consuming his mind.

He hadn't been able to think about anything else since receiving Mbali's text message earlier that evening, and it should have occurred to him earlier, he thought, that Kamo would never concede her spot so easily without first putting up a fight. He had, after all, sent a clear message to the Come-ups – whether intentional or not - at the Neighbourgoods rooftop market when he was pictured with the Stars. And in the North, whether intentionally sent or not, a message always received a response. What KB didn't know was what shape or form Kamo's response would take.

KB's phone began to vibrate and he sat up. A text message.

"Running late - T" the message read.

"T...", KB sighed, slumping back into the seat which all of a sudden felt very uncomfortable. Too upright. He reached down the side of the seat, somewhere near its base, and pulled on the lever that made the seat recline. Better.

"T..." he said to himself again.

KB's best bet was that Tau would propose that they have a joint party together over the weekend, just as Nana had bragged during her vlog. It only made sense for the party to take place somewhere public, like a club, to ensure maximum publicity, because that was how the Stars rolled. They were only as relevant as the number of eyes watching them.

KB then began to wonder what kind of Star he would be if he ever got to the top. Would he be mysterious and unassuming? Would he live his life publicly: a permanent fixture at every event across town? The car suddenly felt warm, which was strange given the fact that it was a particularly cold night, and KB rolled his window down, letting a blast of cold air rush into the vehicle. He turned the radio on and waited.

***

The silver BMW 1 series pulled in at 00:47 am. It came into the parking lot slowly, lights dimmed low. The driver, who appeared only as a black silhouette behind the tinted windows, looked to be scanning the parking lot as he circled the area. KB waited for the car to circle in front of his before flashing his lights on and then off. A quick flick of his wrist. A signal.

The car stopped abruptly in its tracks, perpendicular to KB's own. And then the window rolled down.

KB knew, even before the window rolled down, even before Tau's face came into full view on the other end of the tinted glass, that he was not alone in that car. Something had told him.

"Hey. Forgive us for being late." Lesedi said from the passenger seat. Tau parked the BMW next to KB's own car and they both exited, making their way into the back seat of KB's GTI.

"Don't worry, I just got here not too long ago" KB nervously responded, extending his hand to Tau and then Lesedi.

It felt odd to KB, having Tau and Lesedi sit at the back of his car like that, as if they weren't two of the most powerful people in Johannesburg.

"What's going on?" Tau asked with a smirk on his face. The time was 00:59 am.

What's going on? KB thought to himself. You're the one that called me out here to meet you.

"Nothing much... I was just at home. I had a hectic day at work today" KB responded.

"Close any investment deals today?" Lesedi asked. She was seated with one leg crossed over the other.

"We're working on a big deal, but I can't really talk about it publicly..." KB responded. He knew he somehow had to change the direction of the conversation.

"Kamo is asking around about me", KB continued, looking both Tau and Lesedi in the eyes, "and I don't know why."

Tau laughed. A hearty laugh from his belly. It resonated in the car as it left his voice chamber.

"Are you serious?" Lesedi asked. She was smiling.

"Yes, I'm serious" KB began to respond "She's been-"

"No, I mean are you seriously surprised that she's checking up on you" Lesedi interrupted. Her hands were on her knee, and Tau's hand rested on top of them.

"I would hate to think you're that naïve." Tau added, his face suddenly turning serious, his brow furrowed.

"What?" KB responded. Though he had heard every single word, KB couldn't help but feel completely blindsided by both Tau and Lesedi's responses.

"Are you so naïve to what's happening around you?" Tau asked flatly. Though Tau was calm his eyes were wild. Something behind them had flicked. A switch.

"What's going on?", KB asked. He turned away from the back seat and stared out ahead through the car's windshield.

"Kamo and the Come-ups aren't the only ones checking up on you...the whole of Joburg is" Tau said while fishing in his pocket, producing a cigarette and lighter. "Haven't you been on Instagram lately? Go see for yourself" Tau finished, lighting the cigarette.

"What does this all mean?" KB asked. The words felt like jelly on his tongue - loose and shapeless.

"You saw that pic that was posted on Instagram. The one we were all tagged in" Lesedi said.

"Yeah...I sa-"

"Well that's a sign" Lesedi interrupted "A signal to the North."

"You've officially been introduced to Joburg society." Tau added, taking an impatient pull of the cigarette in his mouth before continuing. "But what good is an introduction without a debut?" Tau questioned, his eyebrow raised.

KB remained silent, his brain failing to process everything he was hearing.

"You and your banker friends will join us for a night out tomorrow where you will officially make your debut" Tau instructed, blowing the cigarette smoke out in the car. He spoke methodically, confidently, as if laying out the blue print to a plan he had crafted. A plan whose every detail he had studied. A fail-proof plan. He, the confident mastermind.

"Am... I a Star now?" KB asked.

Lesedi burst out laughing and her head curled up towards the roof, the sound witch-like.

"No. But you could be" Tau responded matter-of-factly, "That all depends on how you play your cards from here on out. I've done my bit."

"Why...did you choose me?" KB asked. He turned around to face Tau and Lesedi again "What's in it for you guys?"

"It's because you guys are bankers, and that would be the ultimate flex for us." he finished, revealing a thin smile.

Before KB could speak again Tau and Lesedi had already opened their doors and were sliding out of his car, their bodies slipping out into the cool night. Once they were outside the car Tau threw the remaining cigarette butt onto the ground while Lesedi turned back to face KB who was frozen in the car.

"Don't let the pressure get to you" Lesedi said before closing the door shut.

The force of the closing door caused the air to rush violently around the vehicle. And then everything went silent, including KB who did not move. He looked at the time.

The time was 01:29 am.