Chapter 6: Breakpoint

The gravity of what KB had started through a single lie did not hit him on the roof deck of the Neighbourgoods Rooftop market as he shook hands with two of the biggest Stars in Johannesburg. It also didn't hit him as they spoke over the noise of the bustling market before going their separate ways. KB was still high up in a cloud of bliss as he drove home from the market, swerving his silver GTI between taxis, buses, and cars as if they were obstacles lining the highway leading him home. He had not fully understood or considered all the implications of lying about being a banker until he drove through the bronze gate of the "Valencia" housing apartments in Sunninghill. The place where he lived with his mother and younger sister.

The feeling was gradual in the way it approached him, quietly introducing itself like a shy stranger. Why had he told the lie in the first place? What was he hoping to achieve? How would he keep up the charade? The questions fought each other like rabid dogs released from a cage inside his head, and something inside KB cracked in two as he made his way towards his family's two-bedroom unit.

"Hello mtanam", Ma said to KB after he entered the living room through the front door. It usually warmed his heart whenever she called him "her child", but the words had no effect as he shut the front door closed behind him.

Ma was seated on the couch in front of the TV, feeding KB's five year old sister Lulama who was uncomfortably perched on Ma's lap. Warm porridge dripped from Lulama's mouth onto the worn sofa as she gazed at the cartoons in front of her.

Ma appeared defeated, and it unsettled KB. There was a resignation in her eyes, the kind that signaled a lost sense of hope for a better future for herself, and, more importantly, for her kids. The expression spoke for itself, this is as good as it will ever get, it said out loud.

There was so much that Ma had to be angry about: what Baba had done to them; the fact that KB had been academically excluded from two universities; the constant struggles of being a single parent. KB was aware of all of it. But what surprised him as he watched her on the couch was the amount of pain she also concealed at the same time.

He often overheard her talking to her friends on the phone late at night, where she would declare how much she hated 'that man' for what he had done, and KB had assumed that was all she felt, a pitch black anger that left no room for any other emotion. But seeing just how much pain she was in made KB want to do right by her; to give her something to be proud of. 

He greeted his mother and sister with a hug before making his way to his bedroom.

***

Once in his room KB collapsed onto his bed. He rolled over onto his back to face the cracked ceiling of the room, feeling incredibly exhausted, and reached for his phone nestled in his pocket.

He scrolled through his contact list until he found what he was looking for, then pressed his sweaty thumb against the call button.

"What have you gotten yourself into?" the familiar voice on the other end of the line said.

"I fucked up..." KB said, burying his face deep in his hands. He fought back the sudden urge to cry.

"I'll send you my location" Mbali replied.

KB hung up the call. He felt dangerous, unsure of what else he was capable of doing. He picked himself up off the bed and made his way out the bedroom, passing his mother and sister on his way out, neither of them asking where he was going.

***

Navigating around the Northern suburbs of Johannesburg was simple. Rivonia road was one of the main arteries of the North, and everything else branched off it like veins. The sun had started its late afternoon descent, dousing the sky in spills of splendid shades as KB followed the GPS instructions on his phone, leading him to the location Mbali had sent him.

***

The house at 19 Pringle road was typical to the standard of houses in Sandton, the most expensive suburb in Johannesburg. It was large and architecturally modern, boasting glass and wooden finishes meshed against concrete and steel. He rang the bell at the gate and waited anxiously for a reply.

"KB?", the voice on the other end of the intercom asked, sounding uncertain.

"Yeah....it's me" KB answered, clearing his throat as he spoke.

The gate proceeded to open inwards, and KB drove into the sprawling property.

Mbali was standing in the double-oak doorway of the mansion, wearing an over-sized t-shirt and black leggings. She had changed out of the clothes she had worn earlier to the market.

"I thought you would be back at your parents' house in the South" KB said, hugging her tightly.

"Yeah...I thought so too. But my uncle asked me to watch his house for the weekend, so I had to leave abruptly." Mbali said. She led him into the house.

"Banker, huh?" She finally said once they were seated in the lounge. She had heard KB's entire conversation with Tau on the roof deck.

"Fuck..." KB responded "You know how much I want this, Mbali. It's just that I-" and then it happened. It surprised KB when he began to cry.

Mbali too was surprised, and she sat in silence and watched as KB wept, his head buried deep in his quivering hands.