3 ☼ I Think I'm Gonna Like It Here

A N N E T T E

The girls and I were required to clean the orphanage from top to bottom while Miss Haggins sat in her office,  smoking a cigarette and drinking from a whiskey flask sneakily.

While sweeping the floor in Miss Haggins' office, I silently sang to myself.

"The sun will come out tomorrow,
So ya gotta hang on 'til tomorrow,"

I was mostly trying to tune out the woman's conversation with her friend, whom she claimed works for the meat market. I had listened to the two discuss different meals to make with dog meat for nearly an hour.

"Really, you know I'll be there for the adoption day. I need to get rid of some of these girls. They're taking too much from me." Miss Haggins talked loudly into the phone. "Now I'm stuck taking care of little brats. It's such treachery!" she complained as she leaned into the chair, putting out her cigarette into the ashtray.

The tv blared in the background in the far corner of her office. It was a showing of Thomas McCarthy's show, a famous daytime talk show host.

The audience clapped as Thomas McCarthy, a tall, brown eyed, cream skinned man who had a lean face with a pointed chin and rosy cheeks, walked out.

"Thank you, thank you. We have an important guest with us tonight, Aquela Kenslee," Thomas announced.

Miss Haggins looked at the TV. "Oh, that man is attractive."

Without warning, a knock was sounded on the front door. Miss Haggins unmoved by this, continued her conversation. After a while, several more knocks were heard.

"Alright! Alright!" Miss Haggins fussed. Then yelled for someone to get the door.

Shortly afterwards, three knocks were heard on the office's door before being slowly opened. The stranger then poked his head inside it, asking, "Is there a Miss. Haggins here that I can speak to?"

"And just who might you be?" Miss Haggins asked calmly.

"I'm Dimi," he introduced himself, walking into the office. Standing tall and well muscled with tan skin, and looked to be in his late 20s, the deep-set grey eyed man with short, black hair styled in a crew cut, wore a navy, tailored suit with a white shirt, burgundy tie, and black dress shoes. "The city's Board of Orphans said that-"

"Oh!" she exclaimed while quickly placing a smile on her face, hanging up the telephone. "My goodness, won't you come in?"

"Thank you," he said as he was ushered into the office. He looked over at me and smiled a little, and I shyly did the same before being shoved out of the room and into the hallway, followed by the door slamming shut in my face.

Miss Haggins then linked her arms around one of his and moved him into a seat.

I wondered who that man was. Maybe he was interested in adopting one of the girls.

"Well, welcome to our happy home."

"Thank you,"he said, still looking back around.

"What did you say your name was?" Miss Haggins asked, trying to seem friendly.

"Dimi Vázquez."