4 ☼ Life After Tomorrow

A N N E T T E

With an early breakfast behind us, I made my way downstairs to where Dimi patiently waited below for me.

"So, where are y-you taking me?" I stammered as I hurried down the last steps of the staircase. I was dressed in a white t-shirt tucked inside a mini, white skirt with lengthy socks and matching white shoes that Perla had me changed into that morning after Elenora styled my curls into pigtail buns with white ribbons.

Dimi's face brightened as he held his hand out, which I immediately took, and led me along down a hallway.

"Ever played tennis before?"

"Um... no?" I answered. That was not an activity that I had ever even considered. I was usually more of a 'go to the library' or 'draw and color' kind of girl. 

Dimi then smiled, "Well then, you're in for a treat."

"You've done this before?" I asked hesitantly.

"It's been a while, but yeah," the man smiled in thought.

I gave a slight smile in return as we continued our travel. Finally, we arrived at the tennis court where I was soon being confronted by two tennis trainers who introduced themselves as Alina Fuentes, a gray eyed woman with ginger, short hair; and Roy Brennan, or Bran, an older man with brown, oily hair and black eyes who has a moustache and small beard.

"So, we heard you want to do some tennis," Alina stated, cleverly disguised in a white tank top and white shorts with black stripes. "You're up to the challenge, miss?"

Bran chuckled as he handed me a purple tennis racket. "Here you go, ma'am. One tennis racket primed and ready to go."

When taking a hold of the tennis racket, my hesitation was starting to turn into excitement as both trainers started teaching me how to hit and serve as well as the basic rules. We practiced my swing for about half an hour with Dimi giving "helpful" advice throughout.

Feeling pretty confident with my training, I ran onto the west side of the field, getting into a playing position as I shouted out, "All right, bring out my opponent!"

It was then that Maximo entered the room also wearing a very obvious tennis outfit as he did several poses. I blinked in astonishment as he got onto the east side, pointing his white tennis racket at me.

"You're gonna get served, missy!" Maximo proclaimed as he called me out. "Rev up dat tennis!"

I chuckled as I showed my teeth, holding my tennis racket in my right hand. "Whatever you say, Maxi."

Dimi gave a small laugh and shook his head as he sat down on a wooden bench nearby, while the trainers stood from the sidelines, declaring the tennis match to begin.

I smacked the green fuzzy tennis ball on the tennis court as I glanced at Maximo. "Are you ready to be served?"

"Ha ha, very funny..." Maximo stated with a roll of his eyes, stretching his arms out. "Let's get this ball rolling."

Tossing the ball into the air, I sent the ball flying to the other side of the court before it was hit by Maximo's racket. Speeding fast across the court to his side, I returned the ball with the swing of my racket.