8 ☼ The Happy Warrior

A N N E T T E

The next morning, I opted to just pull myself out of bed as soon as the clock hit eight-thirty. Once I was out of bed I had no idea what to do. I then crawled towards the end of the bed, hovering over the footboard to witness Tux stretched out on the luxury of his L-shaped doggie bed near the pillowed edge, happily snoozing the hours away.

Suddenly, my stomach began growling. I decided to go eat breakfast. So, I cautiously slipped out of bed and opened the door to peer down the long hallway to see a male figure dressed in his usual attire: a black tailcoat jacket over a white shirt, vest and bow tie, and black tuxedo pants.

"Hey Beckham," I called out from under the doorframe, catching the poised man's attention.

"Oh, Miss Annie," the man brightly smiled and walked forward. "May I be of service?"

"No thank you," I said with a smile. "Is Ms. Kenslee busy?"

"The Boss is currently asleep in her bedroom.  Would you like for me to get her for you?"

"No!" I was quick to deny. "Don't wake her up. I-I was just heading down for some breakfast. I was just wondering if I should wait for Ms. Kenslee."

"Boss has given you full access to the Mansion including her personal living spaces."

I raised my eyebrows at that. I had full access? "Oh, okay, um, thanks."

"I'll alert Mrs. McGee of your upcoming. Any particular suggestions for this preparation."

"French toast and blueberry waffles, please."

With that information, Beckham excused himself and headed downstairs to give my request to the chefs.

I had just finished up the handmade waffles when Ms. Kenslee rounded the corner, meeting eyes with me.  The woman was fashionably dressed in black jumpsuit, the lacey, high-neck top was semi-transparent with long, ruffled sleeves. Her hair was parted in the center with soft, shiny curls.

There was no greeting. She just got straight to the point.  "What's on the menu?"

"Oh, um, I requested blueberry waffles and French toast, but there's also muffins, fruit, dry cereal, eggs, and other things I can't pronounce or ever heard of."

The pretty woman smiled warmly at my words, joining me at the dinner table. Once seated from across from me, one of the private chefs entered the room, rolling forward a food cart filled with silver platters enclosed with lids. The men dressed in mostly all white then severed the woman based on her preferences before exiting into the back room.

From then on, Ms. Kenslee and I ate together at the table, simply enjoying each other's company.

After shooting a quick text, Ms. Kenslee turned to address me.

"As soon as you're finished, Perla would get you fitted and ready for our departure. Bradley will be waiting for us in the garage in twenty."

I looked up at the woman.  "We're going somewhere, together?"

"Of course, pretty girl."