VIII

6 MONTHS LATER

6 MONTHS LATER

I found my grandmother in one of the room of the castle, sitting in a chair, alone. She wasn't like herself lately. I did not want to point it out, scared it would be rude to ask that type of things but I was starting to get concern. I walked in, poured wine in two cups and then walked to her.

« Grandmother ? » I called her now next to her

She looked a me « Oh ! Forgive me. I didn't hear you come in. » I handed her one of the glass « No, thank you. »

I frowned my eyebrows « Are you ill, to refuse a glass of good wine ? »

« No, no. » I put it on the table next to me and drank a sip of mine « I just haven't slept. In truth, I think I'd prefer to rest than dance. »

« You can't do that to me, Grandmother. I need you there. » I said « Edward will remind me that I am to marry in a week every second. I need moral support. »

« Is Richard not back yet ? » she asked

I shook my head negatively « I'm sure George told Edward about Richard and I so the King could send him away until I got married. Nothing could be worse. »

« Did you tell him yet ? In your letters ? »

« I can't. » I looked down to my glass « How can I ? I don't even want to get married to this man. »

« You still secretly hope it won't happen, don't you ? »

I smiled « My fate is in the hands of God. » I took another sip « Come on, Grandmother. Don't miss the Christmas celebrations.It is a year's worth of Court gossip at a single sitting. I know you love that. » She smiled « I'll call the physician for you. »

« No ! » she declared with a tone that wasn't usual « I don't need a physician. » I put my glass down « There's nothing for a physician to see and thank God, nothing that some fool with a knife could think to cut out. »

I grabbed her hand « Then what's wrong ? »

« My heart. » she answered and mine skipped a beat « It's beating strangely. I feel it skip a beat and then go slow. » I looked confused « It won't beat strongly again, Grace. »

« What are you saying ? »

« Prepare yourself ... and your Mother. » she answered « I won't be with you much longer. »

Remember when I said nothing could be worse ? Well, it did got worse ...

***

The rest of the day was a blur. I had to help my mother with her dress since her stomach got so big so fast. She looked like she was expecting any day now. But I wasn't fully there. I wasn't fully at the banquet either. The music and the people dancing made me sick to my stomach. I couldn't eat, I couldn't drink. I wanted to tell my mother about my grandmother but I couldn't. She needed to do it. I felt more and more dizzy, until I saw a silhouette. I had to blink multiple times before I could identify who it was. Richard ? I almost fell standing up and he caught me just in time.