➳ 𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘵𝘦𝘯: 𝘪𝘯𝘷𝘪𝘴𝘪𝘣𝘭𝘦 𝘴𝘵𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨

╔➷════════════➷╗

"Isn't it just so pretty to think

All along there was some

Invisible string

Tying you to me?

-Taylor Swift

╚➹════════════➹╝

CONSIDERING ITS START, THE REST OF KIDA'S JOURNEY TO BA SING SE IS RELATIVELY UNEVENTFUL. Soon enough, she arrives at Full Moon Bay, the transport hub located at the centre of the Earth Kingdom. All that stands between Kida's goal — finding Yoko's sister, and then finding some semblance of normal life — is a ferry ride.

Well, a ferry ride and a stubborn passeport attendant.

"Well, my house and everything in it was burnt down by the Fire Nation," Kida explains, furrowing her brow in frustration. "So, no, I don't currently have a passport."

"No passport, no ferry!" the ticket lady repeats sternly.

"But, I —"

"Enough!" the woman interrupts. She slams a hand onto her desk to emphasize that their conversation is over. "Do I need to call security? Next!"

Kida exits the line, grumbling to herself as she walks away. She gets lost in the commotion of the station, allowing herself to disappear into the crowd while she considers her next move. Stealing someone's passport? Nope! No more stealing; those days are behind her. Forging a passport? Not impossible, but expensive. Abandoning the plan? No. This is for Yoko. Kida needs to find her sister, explain what happened.

Kida needs to find a way into the city.

Suddenly, a hand latches onto Kida's shoulder and the girl freezes. "Planning another escape?"

That voice. It sounds like...it couldn't be —

"Suki?" Kida turns around and sure enough, there she is. Suki is wearing a uniform, not her usual Kyoshi Warrior outfit, but the one that the other security guards are wearing. Still, her violet gray eyes have that same enchanting twinkle that always makes Kida's heart skip a beat; she wears that same compassionate smile, the one Kida knows can turn into a fierce glare in less than a second if anyone gets on her bad side.

It's definitely, unmistakably Suki. Kida doesn't know whether to curse the Spirits for their strange coincidences — after all, Kida's initial destination was Kyoshi Island before things got derailed, to put things lightly — or thank them for bringing her face to face with someone who Kida probably really needs right now given how shitty things have been lately.

Without thinking much of it, Kida brings Suki into a hug, trying to communicate what her words can't — the brief uncertainty of their chance encounter, the regret of leaving, the joy of reuniting. Suki hugs back tighter, which says all that and more.

"It's been a while," Suki says as she pulls away. "Since you..."

"Left without saying goodbye?" Kida laughs, rubbing the back of her neck. "I tend to do that."

Suki tilts her head. "I sense a story there."

"Yeah, it's not really a good one," Kida says. "So, do you work here now or something?"

"Well, it's good to know that you're still a master of deflection," Suki notes. "But you're not getting away this time. I have my break now, so let's go upstairs and talk."