Chapter three: Carrots, Corn and Conversation

Clementine began unpacking her rucksack, she removed her battered winter coat, the few cans of food they had brought and a map of Virginia. As she neared the bottom of the bag her fingers brushed something cold, she took hold of it and removed it. It was a small handgun, something she could easily conceal if need be. Clem wrapped it up in a scarf and slid it under the bed, just in case.
She peered out the window at the sky, the rain seemed to have eased somewhat and the sun was even out. Clem slipped off her hoodie and tossed it onto the bed, she delved into the bag again in search of something that suited the weather. She seized a thin long sleeved shirt she had found in a decrepit clothing store, luckily it hadn't been the target of as many moths as the other clothes. As she pulled it out, a small piece of paper fell out of her pack and onto the ground. She picked it up and turned it over, smiling back at her was the picture of Lee they had found in Macon. Clem felt a lump form in her throat, despite how long ago it all was, the memory of his death felt fresh in her mind. She had a feeling of underlying guilt that it was all her fault, that if she hadn't been stupid enough to leave the group Lee would still be standing here today. Clem held back tears as best she could, she didn't want AJ to hear her. She gently placed the photo back into the bag.

It seemed like the whole city was at the cookout, there were dozens of wooden seats and those who couldn't fit on those sat on the grass. In the centre of the park, a large bonfire crackled and spat embers into the sky, illuminating the area. Clem and AJ walked through the crowd towards where the food was being served. They each took a plate and served  themselves, the barbecued chicken was absent just like Gabe said it would be, much to their dismay. They set off in search of somewhere to sit before they saw a familiar face in the crowded park. Gabe waved, they went towards him, carefully balancing the food on their plates.
"Hey Clem, hey AJ." Gabe sat down on the edge of a raised wooden garden bed and Clem and AJ followed suit.
"Hey again Gabe" Clem said with a slight laugh.
"So, what do you think?" Gabe asked, waving his hands in a broad sweeping motion.
"Pretty damn cool, it's almost like it was before." Clem said between mouthfuls of corn.
"Yeah, it is isn't it?"
Clem bit into a roasted carrot, "so Gabe, I heard all about what Javi was doing this whole time, but not you. What's been happening with you since I left?"
"Not a whole lot honestly", Gabe shrugged. "I helped Javi for a while, I had a bunch of different jobs. It's not a very interesting story."
Clem slapped him on the shoulder with the back of her hand playfully, "come on, tell me about the jobs you did. That's got to be interesting."
"Alright let's see, first job I did was taking inventory of food supplies and stacking shelves. Once I was eighteen I was allowed to work in the armory, I mostly just unlocked the door for runners who needed guns. After that I became a runner which was fun. Now I do a bit of running and gate duty."
Clementine nodded while she shoveled mashed potatoes into her mouth, she could tell from the sounds on her left that AJ was doing something very similar.
"See, not very interesting." Gabe chuckled.
"No way, I can't boast about having that many jobs. Hell, I haven't even had one." Clem took a sip of the brown bottle she was holding, the only beer she has ever had was one that was long past it's prime.
"I can't believe you guys have actual beer here."
"You can thank Yvette for that, it's her brew." Gabe said as he skewered a tomato slice with his fork.
"Honestly, I don't like beer that much but hey, it's better than boiled river water so I can't complain."
Gabe laughed. Their conversation went on, they mostly spoke about Clem's experiences living out in the wilderness. While they had been talking the sun had set and the fire was now the only source of light in the park. She felt a tug at her shirt.
"Clem, I'm tired. Can we go home." AJ groaned.
"Alright kiddo, in a little while." She patted him on the back gently. 
"Sorry Gabe, I have to go take AJ to bed."
"No, it's fine. Don't worry about it, we can just talk another time." He said.
Clem didn't want to talk another time, this was the first time in almost a year she had spoken to anyone who wasn't AJ. She was enjoying herself and she didn't want to cut it short just yet.
"Actually, do you want to come back with us and we can continue this conversation?"
Gabe's eyebrows raised slightly in surprise, "sure, sounds good."
As they left the park, she seized two beers from the bucket of now melted ice.

Clementine quietly shut the door to AJ's room, she sat herself down on the couch next to Gabe and kicked her boots off. Clem handed him one of the bottles she had taken and took a swig from her own.
"I probably already said this but it feels so weird being in an actual house. One that isn't rotting and full of walkers, I mean."
Gabe nodded, "absolutely, I guess it takes some getting used to."
"Did you get to try any of that chicken? It was gone by the time I got there."
"I actually had some on my plate when you sat down. You should have asked, I'd have given you some." Gabe laughed.
"Wow Gabe, you sneaky son of a bitch." She punched him lightly on the shoulder.
"Ow." Gabe said flatly.
The more they talked, the closer Clem found herself sitting to Gabe. She wasn't sure if it was the alcohol that was making her face feel warm or something else entirely.
"So Gabe, do you have a Girlfriend?" Clem asked in a teasing tone. Gabe practically choked on his drink.
"Me? No." He let out a small chuckle.
Clementine moved even closer, she put her beer down and wrapped her arm around his shoulder. Before she knew it, she was sitting on Gabe's lap kissing him.
Fuck it, she thought, it's been a while.