Chapter Six: Right To Bear Arms

The three of them stared at the bags under the floorboards. There had to be at least a dozen of them, all full to the brim with weapons.
"What do we do?" Gabe asked once the shock had worn off.
The silence that Gabe had broken soon resumed as no one had an answer to his question. They all stood there dumbstruck until a loud groaning filled the air. Clem rushed to the window and looked out into the street.
"Shit."
A large group of walkers were flooding the area, they came from the woods and were slowly boxing them into the cabin.
The three quickly ran to the front of the house and pushed the armchair in front of the door, it wouldn't hold them for very long but it was something. They pulled the curtains shut and went back to the bedroom.
"What now?" Adrian said in a hushed tone.
"We've got to lure them away from the house, back into the woods." Clem whispered.
"How do you propose we do that?"
"I'll sneak out through the back window, run into the woods and lure them to me. You two wait here and guard this stash."
"Wait a second. You're going by yourself? That's insane, let me help." Gabe piped up.
"No. I can do this on my own, all I'm doing is running around making noise, only need one person for that."
She could tell from the look on his face that Gabe was worried.
"I'll be fine, I've done this a hundred times before. Don't worry." She added.
Clem promptly slid open the window and jumped out, her prosthetic leg creaked.
Damn it, last thing I need is it breaking while I'm running.
She picked up a stick from the ground and began banging it on the tin roof of the shed. The walkers slowly began to turn and walk in her direction.
"Over here! Follow me!" She shouted while backpedaling. Once she was sure they were following her, Clem made for the woods. The groaning mass of walkers weren't far behind, she tried to keep in their field of vision until they were clear of the cabin, then she could give them the slip and circle back.
Clem kept running until she could no longer see the cabin, the walkers practically tripped over each other to get at her.
Once the cabin was out of her view she quickened her pace, the walkers continued in a straight line while she ducked behind some bushes and crept around the corner of the herd.
The groaning faded as she snuck back to the cabin. There were still some stragglers that hadn't followed the herd, Clem counted four. When they saw her they all began shambling in her direction, arms outstretched. Clem took her knife from her belt and got ready to fight. The closest walker tried to lunge forward and grab her, she sidestepped and buried the knife in the top of its skull. The rest of them grouped up and came for her, she kicked one in the knee with her prosthetic leg. The walker's knee buckled and it fell backwards, hitting its head on a concrete paver causing its skull to shatter with a sickening crunch. The other two were beginning to surround her, she knew if they one got behind it would be the end of the fight for her. Without warning the two walkers were shot in the head, projecting a mist of black blood and brains into the air. Clem turned around to the window of the cabin where the sharp hissing sound of the gunshot had emanated. Gabe stood there aiming one of the rifles from the stash, there was a suppressor mounted on the barrel.
"We should take them." Clementine said, the three of them sat in a circle around the hole in the floor. She tried to avoid looking at the body of the man she had shot lying in the hole.
"That would mean we killed and robbed a man." Adrian replied.
"Richmond could use them."
"Clem's right. And as terrible as it sounds, we need those guns more than he does." Gabe backed her up.
Adrian's hands went to his head and he became visibly distressed.
"Of course you're siding with her. For fucks sake both of you, if we do that were no better than bandits!" Adrian began raising his voice.
"Look, I know it's not good but if we don't take those guns, god knows who else might use them." Clem found herself yelling to match him.
Adrian sat down on the bed and let out a defeated sigh.
"Fine, I don't know how you think we're going to take all these guns."
She knew that would be an issue, it was a three hour walk to Richmond and they could only carry two bags each, at most. They could come back later with more people but there was no guarantee that the guns would all be accounted for by then.
"We could use this." Gabe held up a battered walkie-talkie, "it's supposed to be for emergencies so I think this qualifies."
He turned it on and tuned it to the right frequency, static hissed from the speaker.
"This is Gabe, can anyone hear me?"
The dead air hissed back at them.
"This is Gabe, we need some help out here."
A voice broke through the static.
"Hello? Gabe, it's David. What's wrong?"
Clementine's face fell. David, she had forgotten David was alive. Whenever she thought of him all that came to mind was him taking AJ from her, she hated him.
Gabe explained the situation and David said he would send more scouts to them. They filled their packs with the food from the kitchen and waited for the scouts. Once they had arrived they showed the scouts the hole. Clem took a bag, which was a lot heavier than she expected. They shared out the bags and began the long trip back. As they walked out the door, Clem gave a glance back to the body of the stranger which was now draped in the sheet from the bed. She felt a pang of remorse. No, he tried to kill you. He got what he deserved.
Clementine shut the door.