The Schmuel Song

3 years and 6 months ago

Katya was setting up Christmas decorations when Trixie walked in the door, throwing her jacket and bag angrily down in the hallway.

"Hey, how was work?" The blue eyed girl asked as the doll walked straight past her and into the kitchen.

"Okay, so not a very good day at the bar, huh? Did you at least get some good tips? Any.." Katya tried, but she was interrupted by the sound of breaking glass moments later.

"Shit!" Trixie yelled out before she went to get a broom to clean it up.

"You look really pretty, if that matters... You working on anything tonight?" The blue eyed girl said, attempting to find any subject that might make the girl's mood better.

"Like what?"

"You know, your songs, the dress you've been working on.. didn't you have an audition or something later this week?" Katya asked.

"I'm not going." The brown eyed girl mumbled out as she walked back into the small living room and layed down on the couch in a depressed state.

"Why?"

"Because... I'm not gonna get it." Trixie said sadly as the other woman sat down beside her.

"Oh come on, have you tried calling your agent?" The blue eyed woman asked.

"He's on a retreat." The doll replied.

"A retreat? What the hell is an agent retreat?" Katya asked.

"I don't know, they go into the woods and sacrifice actresses to breed more agents." Trixie replied with a small laugh making the other woman laugh aswell.

"God, that is a frightening image.. Anyways, I have prepared a little surprise for you, in the form of a story." Katya told the other girl.

"Babe, no, please, I've had such a shitty day." The brown eyed girl argued.

"No, listen, I've been doing this for hours, so you're gonna sit up and listen for like five minutes. Come on, it won't kill you." The blue eyed woman said, pulling Trixie up until she was sitting upright.

"You know, if I'd known there would be this many stories, I wouldn't have ever dated a writer." Trixie replied making the other woman laugh.

"Well too late, but you're gonna like it, I promise. It's a Christmas story, I call it Schmuel - The Tailor of Klimovich." Katya said as she sat down next to the pink western dress that Trixie had been working on for months, picking up the soft measuring tape that layed on the workbench next to it and throwing it around her own neck.

"Schmuel would work until half-past ten at his tailor shop in Klimovich. He'd get up at dawn every day and go to work once more." The blue eyed girl started telling, picking up a pair of scissors and thread as she turned towards Trixie's dress.

"Are you gonna touch my dress right now?" Trixie asked skeptically, a tiny bit of panic in her voice.

"Forty-one years had come and gone at his tailor shop in Klimovich. As the winters passed by, one by one, there was one thing that Schmuel missed.
If I only had time, I would build the dress that's in my head. The dress that would impress any girl from here and all the way to Minsk. But I have no more hours left now to sew. - old Schmuel said. But then suddenly the clock upon the wall began to glow..." Katya said as she put down the items, placing the measuring tape around the neck of the sewing doll which modelled the unfinished dress.

"And the clock said; Oh Schmuel, you'll get to be happy. I give you unlimited time!" The blue eyed woman said in a funny voice, letting her Russian accent shine through for once, as she stood up and moved her arms like a clock. "It's a magical clock." She added for explanation.