Untitled Part 2

1694Yorkshire-Rafael

Rafael was muckingout the stalls with his father when little Winifred came bounding inthe stables. They couldn't have more than ten years old and theyhad been friends for at least that long, Winifred was so much morefun than any of the other boys his age. He'd even started callingher Fred because she was tougher and more adventurous than any girlcould be, she had to be one of the guys.

"Hi Rafe! Want tocome play with me?" She beamed at him.

"I'm sorry MissWinifred, Rafael has several more chores to finish before he can bedone for the day." Rafael's father interjected.

"I'll help!" Fredwas practically jumping up and down in excitement.

"We can't have alovely young lady like yourself mucking out horse stalls; you'd ruinyour new dress miss. Run along back to the castle, Rafael will comefind you if he finishes in time." Rafael's father was polite butclearly giving her marching orders.

Fred's face fell andshe mouthed a 'sorry' to Rafael as she walked away. Rafael hatedthat she never had to work, it was her job to be taken care of andshe got to spend all day, every day doing whatever she wanted.Spoiled little lady of the manor. Sometimes he wondered why he wasfriends with her in the first place.

Fred whipped backaround with a devious grin and promptly grabbed handfuls of muck andsmeared it down her dress.

"There, it's ruinedregardless! Now can I help?" She beamed at his father. Rafael wasdoubled over and couldn't stop laughing, that's why he was friendswith her!

His father lookedexasperated. "Fine. You can help." He threw up his handsin defeat. Fred was a formidable force even as just a child.

Fred spent thenext couple days avoiding Rafael as dedicatedly as he was pretendingnot to remember her. She couldn't bear to be in the same room withhim and often didn't even bother to make an excuse to leave when heshowed up. She happily accepted any invitation from anyone else inthe pack to stay away from Rafael.

Fred had been there overa week when Carter woke her up early one morning, "Get dressedmuffin, we're going shopping." Fred was thrilled. While Rupertkept loaning her his clothes she was eager to get a few things so shedidn't have to keep borrowing them.

She had expected her daywith Carter to be a quick, grab and go typical male shoppingexperience, and was delighted to be proven wrong. He had insisted oniced coffees before anything, and manicures before they could evenset foot in a store.

Carter had a great eyefor style and had helped her pick out several cute outfits. Fredlaughed at his feigned horrified gasp at the amount of 'grungy stuff'she'd picked out. Fred had spent too many years having to be primpedand polished for Vince. He had always insisted on perfect hair, makeup and 'appropriate clothing'. Vince would never let her wear jeans,tee shirts or sweats, and now she almost couldn't imagine being inanything else. Fred felt comfortable for first time in a long time.

Carter left Fredstanding outside Nordstrom's while he ran in to look at their newjackets; she had steadfastly refused to go in, insisting the arm fullof bags she already had was more than plenty. When he came back outhe noticed she'd been cornered by a couple of frat brats. They weremaking a big show of flashing their designer accessories and tryingto talk her into a ride in their Porsche.

Carter had expected herto be a bit freaked but instead Fred just looked bored. When shenoticed him she flashed him quick wink and he stayed back to see whatshe was up to. Fred stood up straight from the table she'd beenleaning on, and with the most impressive resting bitch face Carterhad ever seen, bit her lip slightly. Carter was too far away to hearwhat she said exactly but whatever it was sent the boys huffing awayin a heartbeat.