Untitled Part 8

Fred's head was throbbing, she kepther eyes closed and her breathing slow, trying to guess at where shewas. Her senses were sluggish, smells and sounds were difficult todecipher, but Fred persisted. She was in bed, her bed and the roomwas dark. Someone was sitting next to her, watching her.

"You can stop pretending to sleepanytime. Vincent slept in his study, and there he remains. I madesure he didn't bother you again."

"If that is your definition of'bothered'..." Fred tried to sit up but Tamsin placed a hand onher shoulder and pushed her back down. Fred didn't want to fight heron it, she was still sore, still groggy and laying here for the nextdecade sounded as good as anything.

"You are still weak, you shouldrest, give those tendrils of yours time to heal."

Fred's face drained of what littlecolor she'd gotten back. She couldn't possibly know what she was. "I don't know what you are talking about."

Tamsin smiled. "Whatever you say." She rolled her eyes. "You know I can help if you like, if you'dlet me."

"I don't need any help." Fredstated. She didn't know what twisted game Vince was playing,sending in his own sister to try and gain her confidence, but Fredwasn't about to fall for it. She didn't need anyone's help, ifshe didn't need her pack she certainly didn't need Tam...

"Are they okay?!" Fred sat boltupright. "Rafe, Rupert..." That she'd forgotten for even just amoment! What had Vince done to them? While she was too helpless andhurt to even attempt to help...

Tamsin cut her off. "They are fine. I made Vincent release them. All three are back at home, safe andsound."

Fred relaxed slightly; Tamsin seemedto be sincere in that regard at least. "Thank you."

"You're welcome." Tamsin waswatching her closely, studying her. "Why'd you come back? Youdidn't want to, Vincent repels you now. Why? What changed?"

Fred swallowed the snort tugging ather expression. "I didn't come back, you kidnapped me."

"You let me." The almostdisbelief in her tone was unnerving. As if Fred could have everstopped someone as powerful as Tamsin.

"He's my husband. I love him,that's never changed." Fred stated curtly.

"You don't trust me." Tamsincontinued studying her, and a pounding noise began echoing in Fred'smind. "We want the same thing."

"I highly doubt that." Fredshook away the noise.

"Have it your way." Tamsin rosefrom the bed and left the room.

"I would prefer it if you didn'tget too cozy with Winifred Tam Tam. I asked you to stay away fromher for a reason, that hasn't changed."

"I don't recall you everarticulating what that reason was." Tamsin didn't bother evenpulling her sunglasses down her nose to look at him.

"I don't owe you and explanation." Vincent's body was casting a shadow over her. "You'reblocking my sun." Tamsin waved a dismissive hand at him. Shestretched her back on the lounge chair. She'd settled here next tothe pool, there would only be a few warm days left, and she'dneeded the quiet to think.

Vincent tossed a towel across herchest. "Put a top of for fuck's sake."

"Tan lines... besides, it'snothing you haven't seen before." Tamsin smiled.