Chapter Thirteen

I'm not pleased at all with the way this turned out. But, at least it's something. My apologies. Enjoy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

            “Cassie, are you alright?” Cortnee asked in a voice laced with concern, “You look like you’re gonna be sick.”

            “Why is this happening again?” I mumbled to myself, the fact that she could hear me not quite registering as I tried to wrap my head around Andy’s murder.

            “Why is what happening again? Cassie, what is going on?” Her voice was firmer and more demanding this time. I finally looked up, meeting her uneasy eyes with my own.

            “I’ve been getting the messages and notes again, Cortnee,” the words spilled from my mouth before I could stop them. I didn’t want her or anyone else to know about the new stalker, but now, it seemed like I didn’t have much of a choice, if people were dying because of me. 

            Her brows furrowed down as she attempted to sound stern, but her voice came out sounding more unsure than anything. “Don’t mess with me, Cass, that isn’t funny,” she told me with a frown.

            “I’m not messing with you. I got the first text after the last day of the trial, when they sentenced Colby and Ralph. That’s why I moved here in the first place, but it obviously didn’t do me much good.” I muttered the last part. “I got one last night, too…one that threatened Andy…”

            Realization dawned on her face as I spoke. “The new stalker killed Andy.” She stated, then added, “Wait, Cassie, he killed that hayride worker too, didn’t he?” I simply nodded my response. “Why haven’t you told anyone about this? Don’t you understand how serious this is?” She continued.

            “I can’t just tell someone I’m being stalked again, Cortnee. It’s not that simple.”

            “Why isn’t it? It’s not like they won’t take you seriously, especially considering you’ve already been kidnapped, raped, and nearly murdered once before.”

            I dropped my head into my heads, feeling the headache I had been nursing begin to pulse behind my temples. Nobody ever understood. “That’s one of the exact reasons that they wouldn’t take it as seriously, Cort. Do you know how many prank texts and notes I got from people after my case went public? It was ridiculous. And, even if they don’t brush this next string of threats off as a prank, they aren’t going to find him before he finds me.”

            “You need help, Cassie. You can’t just keep letting this happen. People are dying now, do you realize that?” Her voice had turned pleading.

            “You think I don’t get the weight of this situation?” I snapped, shooting a glare at her. “You think I don’t feel guilty that people are dying because of me? But, do you honestly think it’s going to get any better if I rat the guy out to the cops? He’s not to going to suddenly find it in his heart to leave me and everyone else around me alone if I tell.”