Untitled Part 14

I tried not to look as sick as I felt, sitting at Alex's family's table, the clinks of forks and knives, the scraping of metal on china plates all beat against my head, slamming into me like waves over rocks by the sea.

        "So, (y/n) how are wedding plans going?" Alex's mother asked. She was a thin lipped old woman who had green eyes like Alex's but with curly red hair that was pulled tightly into a bun. She sat with perfects posture, her thin fingers laced into each other.

        "Oh, pretty well..." I tried to fake a smile, "We were thinking about having it on Valentine's day next year, at the museum, We thought it would be wonderful to have it there." 

        "I say, it's not a wedding unless it's at a church." Alex's mom spat. I looked down as Alex grabbed my hand, trying to reassure me.

        Alex's father hadn't said a word. He was a sad looking old man with white hair and glasses. Suddenly he piped up.

        "Well then, when can I be expecting some grandchildren?" He half joked, smiling at me. My throat went dry,

        "Dad..." Alex began sadly. His mother's eyes flew up at me scowling.

        "What are you saying Alexander?" His mother snapped angrily, dropping her fork,

        "Mom, (y/n) can't... she can't kids. She just found out the other day. It's been rough for both of us." Alex said sadly.

        Suddenly her eyes grew larger and wilder. She stared me right in the face and spit her words like venom.        

        "Then I guess your little, flirtation, is over."

        "Mom I love her. This is just a little hump in the road. There as so many other options, adoption-" Alex began, but his mom cut him off.

        "Being infertile, is God's way of saying that you and your whole bloodline are impure. God doesn't want you to carry on you obviously disfigured family tree. Now please, leave my home before you infect it with your ungodliness." 

        I didn't know what to do, I sat there, frozen in my fear. Suddenly his mom went crazy. Throwing drinks and screaming her head off that I was possessed by the devil. I ran out as fast as I could and sat in the car shaking and crying my eyes out. Alex had the keys so all I could do was sit and watch as the lightning flashed and the rain began to flood the streets. 

        I couldn't take the silence so I flicked on the radio, listening to the news drone on and on. Alex wasn't coming back for me and I sure as hell wasn't going back in there.

        "This is going to be one of the worst storms in this towns history. Winds over 100 miles an hour 17 inches of rain expected, hurricane conditions. Everyone must be inside, there's a travel ban in affect, if you are in your car call for help immediately." The news caster said over the radio.

        I pulled out my phone with shaking hands and called 911. A police car came and got me, driving me back to Alex and I's house. I ran inside and grabbed the dog Alex had gotten me. A husky puppy we called snowball. 

        I curled up on the bed with the dog and turned the radio back on, listening about the storm which was getting worse by the hour.

        At around 3 a.m. the doorbell rang, Lainey was standing at the door drenched by the rain. I quietly let her in.

        "Hey there mopey. I saw your tweet so I ran over as fast as I could. What's up butter cup?" Lainey smiled at me.

        "I, I can't get pregnant and Alex's mother called me the devil and now the storm and Alex won't come home and I'm just so tired and and." I collapsed into Lainey's arms and cried into her shirt.

        "Hey hey come on there hun, not on the velvet." Lainey said gently pushing me off her. She pulled out a cigarette and handed it to me.

        "I don't-" I sobbed.

        "One ain't gonna kill you. It'll take off some of that stress." Lainey smiled. I put it between my lips and she lit it for me. After one drag I started coughing and sputtering. Lainey took it and put it between her lips.

        "Guess it ain't for you. It's alright. It's not for everyone. What do you have to drink around here?" Lainey started looking and found a bottle of vodka. She started mixing it with orange and cranberry juice.

        -

        I woke up the next morning to the doorbell and a a splitting headache. Lainey was on the couch hanging off it with holes in her tights. I ran over to the door and looked through the peephole and saw Alex soaked to the skin. Slowly I opened the door and he basically fell into my arms.

        "Hi." I whispered.

        "Hey there sunshine." Alex said weakly, wrapping his arms around me.

        "Where were you?" I whispered again, hoping not to wake up Lainey.

        "My parents wouldn't let me leave till around midnight and then I couldn't find you. I looked everywhere this was the last place I looked. I was so scared babe."

        "I'm sorry." I said, starting to cry again.

        "Hey, hey. No more tears." He grabbed me gently by my face and kissed my forehead.

        "You desrve a baby Alex and I can't give you that." I buried my face in his chest.

        "I don't deserve jack shit. Now, weather or not the baby comes from you, or an orphanage, or a surrogate or it doesn't come at all. I will love you no matter what. Understand?"

        "I do." I said. Alex kissed me gently and smiled. 

        "I can't wait till you say those words again." He picked me up and spun me around our kitchen. Neither could I.