Chapter Five

My mom finally has an off day and what does she want to do? Run. We've been running for awhile, my lungs starting to burn as we do. I look over seeing my mother struggling, heavily breathing, sweating, looking exhausted. We are running through a trail that seems to outline the entire town.

The woods have outrageously tall trees with large patches of moss growing everywhere, there is almost more moss than grass. In some spots there are clearings with wildflowers or hills, some tall or some just a little speed bump, but through it all are the trails.

Mother says that sometimes when the fog rolls out the trails, or the woods in general, look like some mystical supernatural horror movie. It makes sense though, this area is rich for the Fey to come to lure in humans to prank or have some fun with. A small pang of homesickness runs through me. Despite my horrid cousin the kingdom is my home. Nature may help with the struggle, it relaxes me, but I do miss my father and brother.

"Jezza," Mom calls out while slowing her pace until she stops. I stop as well, watching her take a much needed sip of water. I close my eyes, leaning my head to the sky, letting the breeze rush against me. I love the way it feels, cooling me down and making me shiver. I love the cold.

"This wind, it feels so nice. All these trees make me feel at home," I mutter, my hair tickling my face as the breeze picks up a bit. When I open my eyes she is smiling lazily at me before she points to some large rocks at the side of the trail where we sit.

"I met your father on this trail. Well, close by this trail, there is a pond nearby with this odd oak tree growing on the hill. I met him there, under the tree. His white hair was down to his hips floating in the wind like the leaves and those eyes. God his eyes," she rambles causing me to laugh. Despite hearing my mothers over romanticized version of my father it is a rather entertaining take. My father is a rather serious man and it is hard to picture him wooing my mother after his marriage to Amilia, his promised.

"So you were very enchanted by his beauty, huh?" I ask, making her blush while trying to hide her smile. I'm not sure how long my parents were a couple, if they even were, but after him my mother never went to another. He was promised to Amilia, a wonderful fairy lady and the mother of my brother, so my mother never really had a long term chance with him.

"Do you know who is about as enchanting as your father?"

"Hm?" I hum playing with the end of my top. I bet she is going to try to get me to go on a date with someone again, maybe it's Maggie's nephew. She's been hinting that he'll be visiting sometime soon.

"Your pet demon, Draven," she casually muses while playing with her hair. I whip my head in her direction, my eyes wide in shock. Why would she think Draven was or pet? I know he's been very open about him being a demon with her.

"Come again?"

"I am aware that more than just fairies exist, Jezza. He's point blank told me multiple time. Maggie and I have been studying the demonic energy in our town for ages and it coincidentally spiked the day he showed up. Our house is where the majority of the energy is settled, meaning he is one of the more powerful ones," she explains, a serious look on her face. I knew Maggie was a writer and a professor but I couldn't remember what until now. She has a major in demonology and minor in mythology. I wasn't aware of how involved my mother was, I thought she would just be an editor or something, not this involved.

"Mom-"

"I'm being honest, he is rather enchanting. I don't see the harm in having some sort of fling with someone that gorgeous," she shrugs her shoulders. I let out a small groan while covering my face with my hands. I love the openness in our relationship but sometimes it kills me.