Mind Over Matter

TONI POV:

I walk over to Cheryl and put my first pay check in front of her. "What's this?" She ask quietly. "I-I'm g-g-g-go-gonna p-p-pa-pay y-y-y-you b-ba-back." I say quietly. She sighs. "Toni, you really don't have to." I shake my head. "N-n-n-no. I... s-sa-said... I... w-w-was g-g-gon-gonna p-p-p-pay y-you... you b-back." I say slowly. I look at her. I go into the living room and play some video games until it's time for me to go to work. Cheryl walks into the living room. "What did I say about violent games?" She ask concerned. "I-i-it's not!" I say not looking away from the Tv. "You're playing GTA." She tells me. I pause the game. "Y-y-you're n-n-no-not m-m-my m-m-mom." I tell her standing up slowly as I grab my cane. I turn my Playstation off and looks at me. "You ok?" She ask quietly. "I-I-I-I h-h-have w-w-work." I say quietly. "Do you need me to drive you?" She ask quietly. "N-n-no. V-V i-i-i-is g-gonna d-dri-drive m-me s-sin-since y-y-you d-d-don't t-t-trust m-me i-i-in t-the c-c-car." I say quietly. I look at her. "Can we talk when you get home?" I nod knowing how this might go. The horn honks and I go to the car. "Hey Toni." Veronica smiles. I put my cane in back and slowly go into the front. She drives off. "You ok?" I nod. "Are you and Cheryl ok?" I shake my head. "The accident set her off didn't it?" I nod. "That why you called me?" I nod again.

I grab my cane and walk into the house. "You're home!" Cheryl says quietly. I look at her. "I-I-I'll c-c-call S-Sweat P-Pea." I whisper. "What?" She ask quietly. "Y-y-you're g-g-gonna d-d-dump m-m-me." I say quietly. "No, I just want to talk, we've been at each other for a few weeks and I want to fix it." She whispers. I look at her. "I'm sorry." She says. "I-I sh-should-shouldn't h-h-have c-c-crashed th-the c-car." I whisper. "I'm not happy, but I don't hate you for it." She whispers. "I-I'm g-gonna p-p-pay y-y-you back." I tell her. "Toni, you're gonna be paying me back for the rest of your life! I already got the car in the shop it's being fixed! It's ok!" She tells me.

I walk into the cafeteria and sit next to Cheryl. Veronica and Cheryl are in the middle of an argument. I look at Betty. "Wh-what a-a-are th-they g-g-gonna t-talk a-about?" I ask quietly. "I don't know I tuned them out 5 fuck you's ago." She says quietly. I nod. "You ok?" She ask quietly. I look over at Veronica and Cheryl who are still arguing. "C-c-can y-y-you gu-guys st-stop f-fighting?!" I ask pissed. "Y-you're n-n-n-not m-m-my p-p-parents!" I yell. They all look at me and I realize what I just said. I don't say anything an walk out. "Toni!" I look at Cheryl. "I-I'm a-a-a bur-burden. I-I-I'll g-g-go." I whisper panicking. She grabs my arms gently. "Take a deep breath." She whispers. I look at her and take a deep breath. "You're not a burden Toni. Ok?" I nod. "What's wrong?" She ask quietly. "Y-y-you a-and V-V f-f-ighting." I say quietly. "I-I c-c-can't." I whisper. "Toni, I'm sorry." She whispers. She wipes my tears. "Go to the bathroom and clean yourself off, I'll meet you in the library 4th period. Go sit with Sweet Pea because Veronica and I are at each other's throats at the moment." She explains. I nod. She kisses me and goes back to the cafeteria. I slowly walk to the bathroom. "Toni!" I flinch thinking it's Reggie. I turn around to see Archie. "W-what?" I ask quietly. "I saw you freak out in the cafeteria. I just wanted to make sure you were ok." He says quietly. I don't say anything, I just roll my eyes and walk into the bathroom.

I slowly walk into the Blue and Gold. "What's up Toni?" Betty ask not looking up from her computer. "Ph-ph-pho-o-ot-t-tos." I says quietly. She looks up. "What about them?" She ask quietly. "Th-the o-o-ones i-in th-the p-p-paper are bl-blurry." I explain. "I know! Jug transferred to Stonewall. I have to find someone else to do the pictures." She says finally looking at me. "I-I c-c-can d-d-do i-it." I say quietly. She nods. "Do you have a camera?" I nod. "Do you have pictures I can see first?" I nod handing her a folder. She looks through everything. "Half of these are Cheryl." I smile a little. She sighs. "I'll call you." She says. I nod before walking out and going to the library. I find Cheryl. "You're late." She whispers. "I-I h-ha-had t-t-to t-talk to B-Betty." I whisper. "About what?" She ask. "Sh-she n-n-needed a ph-pho-photo-gra-gr-grapher." I say quietly. "Oh! I forgot you were gonna talk to her." She says smiling. I sit down in front of her. "Well?" She ask. "I-I d-d-don't k-kno-know y-y-yet sh-she n-n-needs t-t-to l-lo-look o-over e-everything." I explain. She nods.