Let me go

About: Kam angst/darkfic

Tw: Swearing, death, blood mentions/gore, violence, mourning, panic, etc.  If you couldn't read What Cost, then don't read this please friendos <3

Word count: ~1700

Tam was making lunch for his boyfriend when he got the hail. Keefe himself sat in his art studio, working on a project that Tam apparently wasn't allowed to see yet. Their anniversary was coming up though, five years of success. Tam suspected it was some present to do with that. Maybe a nice landscape, they needed something to sit over their mantel.

"Hello?"

Dex's voice came from the other end. "Tam, we just got word of a possible Neverseen attack in Atlantis. We think it might just be a few crazy extremists, no leaders spotted yet. but since you and Keefe are closest we need you two to check it out. No interactions required, just a scope out."

"Got it, be there in five."

~*~

It...wasn't just a few extremists. If that wasn't obvious enough.

"Shit," Tam said in a harsh whisper, pulling Keefe far behind a wall as he crept around the corner.

"What? Who is it?"

"A certain mommy dearest."

Then, someone appeared behind him. Tam couldn't remember who. Couldn't remember how. All he knew was that he was shoved from his safe spot into the open.

"Hey boss, we got a visitor. Remember the little shade boy?"

He quickly moved to a place of defense, shadows prepared.

"Oh yes, I remember him. Shame, he wasn't the goal. Ruy?"

The man turned.

"Be rid of him."

Everything went to slow motion. A throwing knife was hurtling towards him. He braced for impact, there was no way to dodge it. Aimed right for the heart.

Only then he saw the flash of movement. Keefe fell back into Tam, the wound in his chest just starting to bleed.

"No!" Did it come from him or Gisela? Tam couldn't tell, his eyes trained on Keefe's face as he gently lowered him to the ground.

"Oh you fucking idiot." Tam didn't know if he was talking to himself or Keefe. Maybe both. He went to remove the knife from where it sat lodged in Keefe's heart.

"No," He said weakly. "Leave it, less bleeding." Somewhere in the background the Neverseen had gotten away, Tam never found out what their goal was that day. He was sure they didn't get it, though.

Keefe held Tam's face in one hand, staining him with blood.

"You have beautiful eyes you know. I've always loved your eyes. I hope I get to see them again."

"Keefe, don't talk like that, you'll be fine, we'll get Elwin in here and-"

"No." He took a break to cough, it left blood rolling down his chin. "No, Elwin can't do anything for me. You can hail him, I'd rather go in the infirmary than the street."

"Keefe-"

"Go, call him. It'll make you feel better, love"

So he did.

Elwin was there fast, 10 minutes at most.

It took entirely too long.

~*~