Nueve

Sophie gasped.

"WHAT?!?" Sophie raced to the door, Sandor running after her and they ran to Havenfield's rocky cliffs, Sophie squeezed her eyes shut and dragged Sandor off the cliff, teleporting to Candleshade.

. . .

Arriving, Sophie rushed in and threw open the doors, revealing the perfect, tidy Candleshade.

She rushed up the stairs and went into Keefe's room.
There, she was greeted by Elwin, Lord Cassius, Alden, Fitz, Mr. Forkle, and Grady.

Alden hurried her in, closing the door and everyone watched Keefe.

He was sweating, eyes tight, and the closer you got to him, the more tired and lightheaded you got. Some type of ability was being manifested, said Forkle, but he didn't know what.

"What do we do? He is slowly waking up, and his power might get incontrollable when he does," said Elwin. He flashed a brown orb which Sophie knew from experience was for checking the physical state of the body.

"I mean, he is healthy, except the heart, which is pumping strange and is radiating a strange glow and power. I wonder what he is manifesting," he said.

Suddenly Keefe thrashed. Spinning in the bed, his body tried to fight the power, but it got so crazy it knocked Sophie and Fitz over, Alden had to send them out of the room for their own safety.

"Sophie, I know this isn't the right time for this, but I'm sorry," said Fitz.

Sophie could hear Keefe's pained screams coming from the other side of the door, and she sighed.

"You're right. It's the worst time, but I am unsure of myself right now, Fitz. I don't know what to make of anything."

He looked away, and then slowly put his arm around Sophie.

"Sophie. I understand. Completely. All I want you to do is trust me," said Fitz, lightly hugging her, and she leaned into his touch.

And then Keefe started to open his eyes.

. . .

Sophie broke free of Fitz and ran into the room, getting knocked down in the process.

Keefe sat up, and he was so weak he fell back down. Sophie slowly crawled to him, and he looked at her, and his face lit up even more than it already was.

"Foster?" he whispered.

"Keefe?" she whispered, her voice hoarse and tears coming to her eyes.

Keefe shuddered and leaned his face into her hands. He stopped sweating and then shot a blast of something causing everyone to fall and feel like faint.

Seeing what had happened to Sophie, he gasped, tried to jump out of bed, but Elwin grabbed him by the tunic collar.

"NO, young man. Something is going on, and we need to figure it out. Rest your body so we can check you out. And I'm afraid, Sophie, you're going to have to leave them room for this part. I'm sure you understand..."

"Yes, of course," said the shaking Sophie.

Keefe gave her a heart-crushing look as she walked out the door.

Sophie ran down the hall and cried, waiting to wake up from the dream.

. . .

Sophie awoke to a crack of light coming in to the closet she had been hiding in.

She squinted and saw her dad looking at her.

"Sorry, I didn't know I fell asleep. I-I-I was so scared I just slept."

"Honey, it's fine. It's just; we have some news."

"What?" Sophie exclaimed, looking up at her adoptive overprotective father.

"Keefe manifested. And as something the Lost Cities has never seen before. A Energenist."