Chapter *2

*Edited

It had only been a few days since the family went up to the attic. For the first few days, it was nonstop screaming, footsteps and occasionally a few gunshots, and then sometimes, pure silence.

When the family would run out of food, the smallest people--which just so happened to be Adira and her nephew, Taylor--would go down and fetch a few more items from the kitchen. Today was one of those days, and as Adira was about to be let down, there was a knock that echoed through the whole house.

At first Adira, Taylor and Matt all looked at each other, listening and waiting for it to happen again. It eventually did come, a lot harder than the first, and followed by it was a female voice screaming for someone to help. It didn't take long for Adira to grab a hammer, jump down and run to the front door without any hesitation. When she got to the door, she slowly looked through the peephole, seeing a woman with blood smeared all over her clothes holding a small child on the other side of the door. Adira didn't hesitate to take the wooden boards off the door, but just as quickly as she began she had to be stopped by Taylor.

"What are you doing?" Taylor whispered. "We are not suppose to open that, remember?"

"The woman has a child with her," Adira said, ripping her arms out of Taylor's grip. "We can't just leave her out there. Plus, I don't see anyone. Do you?"

Taylor leaned forward and looked through the peephole. He couldn't see anything. He pulled away slowly before looking back at Adira and shaking his head. "No."

"Exactly."

Taylor let out a sigh and helped Adira take off the wooden boards with hammers they had . Once they were off, Adira opened the door quickly and the lady and her child ran in, shutting the door behind them quickly. The woman thanked Adira and Taylor multiple times, which Adira and Taylor returned with a smile before asking if they were okay.

The lady looked at her daughter and then at Taylor. "Do you have anything to drink?"

"Yes, we do," Adira said. "Taylor can take you two."

"Oh no, just for my little girl, please." The woman shook her head and put her arms on her daughter's shoulders. "She needs it."

Adira smiled. "Taylor?"

"Come on, kid," Taylor said in a calming voice. "Let's get you something to eat."

"You behave, okay?" The woman told her daughter. "I love you."

"Okay." The little girl spoke softly. "I love you too."

It wasn't long before Taylor and the little girl disappeared behind the wall into the kitchen. The woman and Adira watched as they both left before facing each other once again. The woman had tears in her eyes and a small smile on her face, which Adira knew was a fake one filled with sadness.

"So, can I get you anything?" Adira asked while holding her sword behind her.

"You could take that sword you have and put it through my head," the woman said.

"What?" Adira shook her head and knitted her eyebrows together. "No."

"Please, you have too." The woman pleaded, lifting up her pant leg, which was all bloody and had a big chunk of her ankle out some in falling off and deep in there Adira could see her bone holding her foot together. "Please?"

"No, I can't do that." Adira was shocked. "What about your daughter?"

"You have to keep her safe. Please? Promise me you'll keep her safe." The woman cried. "You have to do it. Please don't let me turn into one of them!"