six

" Ibtihaaj, stand sideways by the mirror" Shahveer instructed his wife as she came out of the washroom, peeing for the hundredth time. His poor baby girl!

" Kyu?" Ibtihaaj was confused.

Ever since she has decided to give him a chance, give their relationship a chance; Shahveer has yet to let her down. He's doing everything in his power to ease her difficulties.

With all the preparing, pampering and worrying he's doing for their baby, he's already in the makings of a good father!

Shahveer brought out a new measuring tape and circled it around her big belly. He wrote down the measurement and cross referenced it with the table from his pregnancy book.

Hmmm, she's almost the perfect size for her gestationary month. Maybe an inch less, but he has already noted down that point.

His big black journal is already halfway through with all the notes he takes to ensure his wife has a smooth pregnancy.

He has divided the book into three sections.

The First Section is all the good points that he finds from various pregnancy books and maternity journals. He has read almost upto the topic of childbirth and is now deliberating on the birthing methods- Natural delivery or Drug Induced and supported, Pain free labour?

The Second Section is filled with Ibtihaaj's medical records and all the changes that he sees in her. It has everything in it, starting from her weight to the number of stretch marks on her body. He even notes down the appearance of each new stretch mark with the exact location.

Two new ones on her left arm? Noted!

The Third Section is filled with all the questions that he has come up with to ask her doctor when he accompanies her for the next visit.
Shahveer is already shameful that he has missed out on so much due to his stupidity but not anymore. His wife and child are his first priority, now and forever!

The last page is however his favorite. It is where he doodles all the possible names they can give their child. He is leaning towards a daughter and already has a list of his favorite baby girl names but he'll be happy if it's a boy too. There are a few names for his little son as well.

Over all Shahveer is totally making it up to his baby. And now it's his baby's mother's turn. He needs to give her attention and make good on all his promises.

" Ibtihaaj ?" Shahveer was reluctant to broach this topic.

Sure they've interacted in the past few days but that was only pertaining to their baby. They were trying to be better at co-parenting, but they've yet to take those little steps towards each other. This will be the first.

" Jee?" Ibtihaaj sat down on the bed and applied moisturizing lotion on her hands. The weather these days was drying her skin excessively.

" Wo main poochna chahta tha ki..." Shahveer was not sure how to progress this further without seeming desperate or embarrassed.

" Kya poochna chahtey hai aap?" Ibtihaaj kept the bottle aside and gave her husband her full attention.

" Kya tum mere saath baher lunch par chalna chahogi?"  Shahveer rubbed his neck in nervousness.

This is way more difficult than his brothers told him it would be!

" Main?" Ibtihaaj was shocked.

" Haa tum" Shahveer smiled at her.

" Aaj?" She questioned again.

" Ha, aaj doctor ke appointment ke baad?" Shahveer had begged her to let him accompany her to her doctor's appointment.