Chapter 25: Answers

Adam's POV:

I hold the door open for Thomas as he carries in my sleeping angel.

"Thanks for taking him in."

"Hey, anytime man. He's fun to mess with."

As soon as the door is shut, I take Raiden from him, cradling him carefully in my arms. I look him over, noting every new mark on his skin. The cuts I last made on him are nearly invisible by now, but Thomas's are painstakingly obvious.

Raiden is mine. I know how important this was to make him behave, but after seeing him like this... It can't happen again.

Nobody else gets to hurt him. No one else can touch him. He's mine.

"What's that mark on his shoulder?"

"Bit him."

"You bit him?" I wait for him to chime in and say it's a joke, but he nods instead. "Great. Now I have to get him tested for rabies."

He rolls his eyes, but I see him hold back a smile as he turns away to raid the fridge.

As Raiden's weight tires my arms, I excuse myself and head upstairs to the attic. I kneel next to the mattress and lay him down as gently as I can, cutting away his restraints. There's no comfortable position I can think of with his injuries, so I leave him on his side. His hair is greasy and tangles as I run my fingers through it. When's the last time he had a proper bath?

With one last brush over his cheek, I let him sleep. When the sedative wears off, I can come back and get him.

By the time I reach the kitchen, Thomas has already grabbed enough food for his ride back.

"Poor, starving Thomas. How ever will you last through the harsh winter?"

"Hey," he defends through half a mouthful, "this is the least I could ask for in exchange for taking care of your brat, and delivery both ways."

I'll give him that.

"Besides, you probably want me out of your hair so you can be alone with it."

"How long until he's awake?"

"I dunno, like, about half an hour. If you're wanting to mess around with him while he's unconscious, you're losing your window."

He smirks, not bothering to stop stuffing his face as he makes suggestive gestures.

"I'm not like that, Thomas," I spit. "I love him. Never would I ever take advantage of him in that way."

"Awh, come on man. You weren't always such a prude. What happened to my cousin who wasn't afraid to force someone to their knees behind the school? I miss that kid! A man after my own heart."

"Stop!"

My voice rings out through the kitchen as I try to collect myself. With a slow look over me, he shuts up. It takes a moment, but I finally calm down enough to at least appear rational to him.

"That was a mistake, and almost a whole year ago. I'm not like that. I'm not like you. It won't happen again, and he knows that."

"How could he? Have you ever said that to him? Fuck, he has to be expecting it by now."

"If I ever do something to him, it's going to be because he wants me to do it. It's not debatable." I turn away, pressing a rough hand to my temple. "I think it's time for you to go."

"Already gone!"

The fridge opens again as he takes another pop can, then he's out the door.

When his car is out of my driveway and halfway down the street, I finally allow myself a breath.