Chapter 3

Back at the North Pole~

Puppy Paws had gone to the Christmas icicle by himself. The son of Santa Paws stared up at the slowly dripping icicle before he spoke... 

"I don't want to be responsible for Christmas. I just want to be an ordinary puppy... I wish Christmas would just disappear"

Once those words were said, a huge crack quickly formed in the icicle. 

Meanwhile in the workshop, Santa Claus and Santa Paws were checking over the naughty and nice books. 

"The naughty book gets thicker every year" Santa told his dog. "And we're just on the pups"

"If Puppy Paws doesn't understand the true meaning of Christmas, how could we expect other puppies to?" Santa Paws said. 

Speaking of, Puppy Paws came back inside the workshop before spotting his father and Santa reading over the lists. He decided to come in for a closer look, making sure not to be seen. Santa and Paws soon got to Budderball, reading over his incident with the Thanksgiving turkey while Puppy Paws secretly listened with intrest. 

"Big appetite for a pup" Santa Paws commented. 

"I have a feeling little Budderball's tummy always leads to naughtiness" Santa sighed. 

"And what about are our old friends the adventure kids?" Santa Paws asked. "I doubt they or any of their pets are on the naughty list"

Just then, a familiar penguin came over with an important letter in his mouth to give to Santa. Once Santa read the letter he laughed. "Ho, ho, ho!"

"In all my years I've never once seen them on the naughty list" The jolly old elf replied, revealing the letter to have been from the adventure kids. "Their belief in Christmas is what keeps things going for us" 

Santa then turned back to the penguin. "Thanks, Topper"

Topper honked to his old friend before waddling off. 

Just then, Eli came over dressed as a postman. "Santa Paws, Claus, we got the mail truck ready for a systems check"

"Great, Eli. We could use a break from this" Santa smiled, getting up from his chair. "Haven't even checked the list twice and we're already tired" 

After the adults left, Puppy Paws came over to the naughty book reading over Budderball's profile. He soon learned about him and the rest of the Buddies were all regular, ordinary, fun-loving pups.

"They sound perfect!" Puppy Paws beamed before taking Budderball's page out of the book and left.

Puppy Paws snuck over to where his father and Santa were. They were doing a quick inspection on the mail truck with the elves, making sure everything was in order for Eli to make his pick-up runs. 

"The route is programmed" Eli confirmed, climbing into the truck. 

Puppy Paws quickly jumped into the back of the mail truck without being seen right as Eli started the engine. All the elves waved goodbye, wishing Eli well before the mail truck disappeared into the magic vortex. 

Not long after Puppy Paws secretly left though, in the cave a huge chunk of the Christmas icicle broke off. The whole workshop suddenly went into a power failure as the lights all went out. Elpert rushed over to the master controller to have a look as a few sparks flew from it. 

He opened the control panel and soon looked to Santa. "I don't like the look of this one bit"

"It's happening fast" Santa appeared in great shock. "The magic of Christmas is fading away, right before our eyes"