Simon Snow

I want to sleep so badly. I'm exhausted. I'm starving. I can hear Baz shifting in his seat. He's not usually here this late at night but I didn't have the energy to go find him in the catacombs. I was hoping he wouldn't be here so I could just go to sleep without having to worry about dealing with any of his snarky comments. Why is he here? What is he doing? I turn my head to look at him, he's got his back facing me. He sits so upright. What kind of 16-year-old doesn't slouch? I shove my face back into my pillows trying to forget what I just went through. I've never seen so many different magikal creatures coming after me at once. I can't help but wonder how many of them bled on me while fighting. Then it hits me. If it's true that vampires have better sense of smell than humans, Baz must be so confused why I smell like so many different creatures. Actually, Baz wouldn't care, he's too cool for that. I don't know why I thought he'd have any reaction towards me that wasn't snarky. Even after I caught him draining rats in the catacombs at the start of last year, he was never anything other than totally calm, and obnoxiously sarcastic. It was impressive how he kept himself composed. Baz starts shuffling in his chair again drawing me out of my thoughts. I try to ignore him, but he takes this deep breath like he's totally lost in thought... I know the feeling. I turn my head to look at him and I'm met by his steel grey eyes.

"Snow.." He starts.

"I'm not in the mood Baz. I really tired, okay? Can you keep your comments to yourself till tomorrow?" I snap at him, some small part of me feels bad as his face softens into looking slightly hurt. "Sorry..."

"What?"

I sit up to face him properly, "I said sorry. Geez, never had anyone apologise to you?"

He shakes his head, scoffing at me, making his hair fall into his eyes. He's been letting it grow out, it just about reaches his shoulders now. "No. Yes. I just don't know why you're apologising to me. You didn't do anything." He pushes his hair out of his face, adding with a smirk "did you do something Snow?" I hate that he calls me Snow, I bet he knows it too. I don't know why it bothers me that he doesn't call me Simon. I look at my lap, shaking my head. "Seriously Snow, what happened? You never show up here looking this bad." His voice sounds genuinely worried. My eyes raise to meet his across the room, his face is softer than usual. For the first time since we've met, he doesn't look like he's about to insult me or like he's plotting my demise. His usually cold eyes seem warmer now, inviting. I shake my head again, more to get myself to stop thinking about Baz's eyes than anything else. "Why are you asking? You've never cared before."