CH 02

People don't live forever. But, maybe sometimes, that's for the best...

"Mommy. Daddy is drunk again"

"Kara, you don't know what you are taking about"

"But, mommy..."

"JUST LEAVE YOUR FATHER ALONE, KARA!"

The little girl pouts angrily because she might be a child, but she's old enough to know that her old man is drunk... for the 4th time in a row this week, to be precise. And, Kara loves her father, she really does, but, she doesn't like him when he's like this because you never know how he will behave. He can just cry and drink till he falls asleep, or, he can become the monster that scares Kara the most. What will be today? Kara doesn't know till she hears him yell and throwing things towards them.

'It's gonna be okay because he doesn't aim to hurt us' , her mother always says. 'It's because he's depressed' , her mother always says. 'It's because no one hires him ', her mother always says. 'It's because they lost the house and have to live in a trailer now' , her mother always says and no matter what excuse Alura plans to say today, Kara has no intention to stay around and hear the lies.

Beer bottles start to crash against the walls and Kara knows she has to leave now before she faces the big monster once again. The little blonde grips hard on her teddy bear while she runs towards the door, trying to dodge the bottles and the broken glass, so worried about not getting hurt, that the poor girl doesn't put attention on the candle she drops by accident when she rushes towards the door of the trailer.

"FIRE!"

People from other trailers notice the fire, Kara also notices the fire when she stands there, in front of the trailer. She sees the flames, the smoke as well as the fact that her mother could get out, but decides not to...

"MOMMY! GET OUT!"

Looking her in the eyes, between the flames, Alura shakes her head and stays inside. Her mother is choosing to stay beside the monster and leave her alone. And, the little girl has no words, she just stops gripping on her stuffed toy, the teddy bear drops out of Kara's hands, just like her hopes in humanity.

Goodbyes are never easy, just as new beginnings...

"Kara. This is gonna be your new home..."

Mr. Danvers says when he welcomes the blonde to his home. It's a nice home, and, Kara should feel happy to finally get adopted by a good family, but she's not responding to the good news.

"She doesn't speak?"

Jeremiah shakes his head when his wife asks the question. Eliza ignores why the child has shut down from the world, why her beautiful blue eyes look so empty. It's nothing against the Danvers, it's just that Kara has lost everything, even her hope.

It's sad that at her young age, Kara expects nothing good from this world, maybe that's why Jeremiah stepped in, trying to change that as soon as she found her. He knew Kara's father. Working together in a military project for Luthor Corp, it changed their lives forever.

Jeremiah doesn't speak about what really happened back then, about why he found his exit from the project before it was too late; he'll always regret not being able to do more for Kara's father. And, that's the main reason why Kara is here today. Jeremiah couldn't help his friend when he needed the most, but, maybe he can do something for his child.

A new life, in a new town came with a new last name and a new sibling...

"Alex... I'm Alex Danvers..."

Kara nods when the teenager introduces herself. The brunette wasn't happy about the idea of sharing her room. At her age, she wants privacy and not the responsibility to look after a kid. And, that's why Alex makes no effort at all to give Kara a warm welcome to their home.