CH 12

"Cat Grant, so nice of you to receive me in such a short notice..."

The Queen of all the media doesn't say a word, she just laughs at the words of the old Luthor.

"Please, I'm not nice..."

"You're nicer than me"

"Anyone is nicer than you"

Lillian smirks, taking the comment as a compliment.

"What brings you here, Lillian?"

"Always to the point, you never change"

"And, you're not the kind of person who requests a meeting without a reason. So, what brings you here?"

"I'm looking for my daughter, Lena. She walked away from me during dinner a few days ago and it seems that no one has seen her since then..."

Cat makes no comment about it, she just takes a sip of her glass as she watches Lilian's posture. The iron woman doesn't look so indestructible now that Lena is missing.

"It's this linked to what you asked me to look into, a few weeks ago?"

Lillian recalls their previous meetings, the reason why she flew back to town was because Cat told her she got the information she requested.

"You looked at me with fear that night"

Lillian recalls the welcome she got from Cat that night when she stepped into her office. Being feared has always brought pride to herself till now, Lillian thinks.

"I wasn't afraid of you, Lillian. I was scared to acknowledge that I'm not very different from Lionel"

"What do you mean?"

"I'm not the easiest boss either. I'm also an expert when it comes to hurting people with nothing more than words and ink. Pushing my staff to do the impossible and request the imaginable has always been something that made me proud till..."

"Till you realized that your staff are more than assets. That they are more fragile than what you believe. That your words can hit harder than a fist and that you have the power to destroy lives with a simple snap of your fingers..."

Cat gulps hard and Lillian smirks at how shocked she looks.

"The goal of making you look into the past was never to make you reflect on your behavior as a boss. But, if it happened in between, I guess, it's a collateral damage I can live with..."

Cat and Lillian smile at each other, and the Queen of media laughs when Lillian thinks that she owes her another favor if she's helping her to be a better person.

"You ask too much, Lillian! Asking me to personally look into the accident of your son and the past of that poor girl, Kiera wasn't enough?"

"Her name is Kara..."

Cat rolls her eyes, getting the correct name seems irrelevant right now.

After Lex's death, Lillian used all her connections to find out if it was more than a simple accident. It wouldn't be the first time that someone tried to kill a Luthor. And, she will not say it out loud but she needed to find any conspiracy behind the death of her dear Lex or, the grief would eat her alive. Lillian needed to blame someone, she needed to put in someone else all her pain, her sorrow, her frustration but to her shock, the accident was nothing more than an accident due to an animal that crossed the road at that time.

Since when Lex was protector of the animals? Lillian is sure that she instilled in her children the notion of always putting their life ahead of anything! So, it's hard to believe for her that one of her kids died just because he couldn't put his life as a priority, no, he decided that protecting the life of a damn animal was more important, and it makes Lillian sick to think about the real reason behind the death of Lex.