CH 05

What if people don't live forever? What if people leave behind unfinished business? It's hard to wrap our head around the idea of what happens next when we're gone. And it's absolutely sure that neither Lex nor Clark ever imagined that their unfinished business would put Kara and Lena under the same roof.

"Come in, come in, please"

Lena says as she brings in the little suitcase that Kara brought with her. The blonde doesn't have a lot of personal belongings. Contrary to Lena, she doesn't have dozens of shoes, or fancy clothes. Most of the things she has, they are things she got from Clarke & Lex.

Sadness spreads over her when Kara thinks about them. Because just like Lena, she blames herself for their death. They weren't supposed to be on the road so late, but they went out to get ice cream for Kara. The blonde had the cravings for it, and they wanted to please her appetit. Because of her, someone she cared deeply died again, that's what Kara tells to herself, and that's the torment she's having in her mind when the other woman brings her back to reality when she calls her name.

"Kara, please come in..."

The blonde blinks when she realizes that she hasn't moved at all. She's standing in the entrance of the penthouse while Lena is moving her suitcase into the guest room. How is that she's here in the first place? Kara wonders, and once again, she gets lost in her thoughts, recalling their conversation after the funeral...

"It was a nice funeral... I wasn't expecting so many people to come..."

A Luthor's funeral, filled with people who had nothing bad to say about the deceased person is nothing that Lena has ever experienced till now. In a way, it eases her pain to know that Lex was loved by someone else besides Clark.

"Yeah, they have lots of friends. The people around here loved them too. They all came, but..."

"But...?"

They stare at each other, Kara is not sure if she wants to ask or if she has the right to ask. But, she doesn't need to because Lena has a pretty good idea of what is happening inside Kara's mind...

"It was too naive for you to think that my mother would come. You didn't have to invite her."

"He was her son. She deserved to know, she..."

"She killed Lex a long time ago in her heart when she kicked him out of the family.

Lena says such words with a bitter voice. Deep down, just like Kara, she was expecting to see Lillian in the funeral. But, Lillian didn't show up, she hasn't said a word to Lena since she got the news about the death of Lex. And, Lena has no idea why she's disappointed about it. What was she really expecting? That Lillian would show up and act like a real mother? That she would be there and mourn the death of her son like any normal human being?! Lena mocks herself for even imagining such things.

"Forget about Lillian. We have more important things to discuss..."

"We do?"

Lena raises an eyebrow when a confused Kara looks at her. 'Does she really have no clue about the 'big' notorious matter she's carrying?' Lena wonders, but, regardless if Kara is playing dump or she's really just so oblivious to the situation, Lena decides to get straight to the point when she asks about the baby.

The blonde softly rubs the belly of a few weeks. It's too late to disrupt the pregnancy, and even if it wasn't, she would never be able to kill anyone by choice, especially a baby. So, the only option is...

"I'm going to give birth to this baby, Lena..."

"And then what?"

Kara sighs because she has no idea how to reply. And, when Lena starts to ask one question after another, Kara's mind fills with doubts and question marks. Can she raise a child? Can she take care of another human being? She doesn't have any money or support system to ensure the well-being of the baby. And, to be honest, Kara is not sure if she can become a mother neither.