the history of wrong guys

Kiara's Diary
0:00 ─〇───── 17:19 words
     ⇄   ◃◃   ⅠⅠ   ▹▹   ↻

Getting a boyfriend is kind of like auditioning for a role. At first, you get a taste of what it'll be like. Whether it's a thirty second monologue from the show or securing a guy's Snap. Then, you crave more, feeding yourself with delusions that it might happen. It might be different this time. Finally, you hold your quivering chin with grace in front of a person that does not care. You resist the instinct to beg, knowing there's nothing you can do to change their mind, and exit the stage. I collected the shame of wasted time and dwindling self esteem, and wore it over my chest like Olympic medals.

But what if I could change their mind? Musical theatre has taught me that relationships can bloom even with the most opposite people ever.

Here's what I learned about it.

1. Constant Bickering Will Turn Into Love

When I was six years old, I felt alone. The dark green curtains shut out natural light. My sticky toys were spread over the stained carpet. I tried making them my new friends, but even as a kid I knew it was fake. I turn my head to speak to the babysitter, only to see her slumped on the couch, her snores rumbling like a mountain. The only source of color was the TV.

Suddenly— an announcement came.

"Now playing: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang! Rated PG. Only on Starz," An energetic male voice states.

My butt was glued to the floor for the next two hours. My beady eyes got to witness the famous Edwardian car finally let out its red-and yellow-striped wings to save the characters from falling off a cliff.

But what I truly, truly liked? Was Truly (Scrumptious) and her budding romance with Caracticus Potts. Despite her accusing him of being a negligent father, despite him telling her she was silly, they fell head over heels for each other. In real life, I heard my parents' voices roar behind the bedroom wall, and they said they still loved each other. Maybe couples needed to fight to show their love.

In first grade, I started to think that every boy I fought with on the playground secretly liked me. I decided to ask one of them if he wanted to be my boyfriend. He was a few inches taller than me and had wispy, short hair. I chose him because we argued over Lego Ninjago, it was perfect. He said yes, and we "dated" for a couple of hours until someone saw and told Ms. Molly. When Ms. Molly confronted me, I drenched my face in tears while she told me I was too young to date. Later that night, my mom sat me down at the dinner table, and broke the news that she and my dad were getting a divorce.

2. The Rebel Gets The Girl

When I was in third grade, I watched the proshot of Newsies, and the most defining, romantic moment of my life was seeing Katherine Plumber and Jack Kelly argue on a rooftop. She was about to punch him, but instead she pulled him in for a kiss. Of course, I would never kiss anyone without asking first, nor would I want anyone to kiss me without consent, but I became obsessed with the tension. Katherine was a good girl, Jack was a rebel because he was the face of a News strike. He made her more courageous, she made him softer. I then decided that I wanted a rebel for a boyfriend, too.

Sitting across the classroom was Peter Carson. He wasn't afraid to yell the funniest jokes in class and scored perfect fours on both Reading and Math tests, so I was already in awe at how dynamic he was. What really made me set my sights on him was the fact that he had the courage to shove a bully in the hallway. At night, I started dreaming about him defending me from monsters and old, wrinkly men.