Ch 3 - A chance meeting

Rin was greeted by the fresh scent of the ocean as he awoke. To think two years had gone by so fast, yet so slowly at the same time. Rin amongst the pressure of training had even forgotten his birthday! But the sailors made sure to have a party nonetheless.

Rin had blended right in with the crew of misfits as quite a few of them were rescued mers, or half-human hybrids, there were few that we rebel hunters but for the most part the crew consisted of all sorts of mers.

Amaimon in particular had grown fond of the boy, Rin was becoming much stronger every day, he was only eleven and he could already pin his teacher. But with all the growth Rin had, The relationship came creeping by, each and every day Rin would get closer to leaving.

But Samael wouldn't send rin back yet! There was still so much growth left for the siren boy, and then why even turn him loose, Rin seemed happy amongst the crew.

Rin stood on his small legs and got ready for the day, Mephisto had already left the room; he always woke up too early for Rin's tastes, and he always went to bed late. The captain got barely enough sleep, but yet he seemed to get by just fine. Rin on the other hand could never seem to get enough sleep.

Arriving on the top deck, Rin smiled, this was home to him.

"Good morning pipsqueak," Rick greeted happily.

Rin was on the verge of spouting some very inappropriate reply for a tween when a familiar siren spoke up.

"That's rich coming from the human of the ship," Amaimon scoffed, hanging onto the railing of the ship as it drifted in the breeze. The siren's period scales seem to glow in the direct sunlight.

Amaimon was the Siren of the ship, his job was to survey the water underneath and keep other sirens away from the ship, keeping the crew safe. In return for his protection, Amaimon got free food, territory, and something to do.

Amaimon was one of the most notorious sirens, long ago he was in a pack with a few other siren lords, or kings. Together the kings would terrorize any \all humans and mers. They loved to stalk the seashores of small island colonies, but these days were long gone as society has developed past that.

"Amaimon that racist," Mephisto scolded lightly, it was mostly meant as a joke but the captain did not want that mindset to spread, even the human was valuable to him, as a pawn of course he would never hold his crew as anything other than a pawn.

Amaimon hissed in response which got a glare from the captain, the said siren then slipped off the railing and toppled over into the water, this evoked a spit of laughter through the crew. As the crew mocked the siren Rin crept over to the Captain.

"When should breakfast be ready?" Rin muttered softly, looking up at the captain.

"In the next few minutes, and about today I'm afraid I won't be able to supervise you while you practice, I have a visitor who is due to come today, and that meeting will take up most of my day," Mephisto sighed.

"It's alright I will just practice with Amaimon! I think I may be able to make the jump to the railing all on my own this time!" Rin chirped happily in response.

"I will talk with Amaimon to see if that can be arranged, this guest may not be the friendliest," Mephisto hummed.

"Well, I guess I will just have to make a good impression!" Rin chimed in response.

"It is rather endearing that you are going to try, but this guest won't be inflicted by any attempts you may make. Just promise me you aren't going to provoke them,"

"Ok teacher," Rin replied as he walked to the kitchen. The little brat had taken up watching the chefs and cooking food, he was good at it, but he was better at making smaller more complex meals, the siren wasn't built for industrial cooking.