Ch 4- a life of his own

"Kinzo retreat I can handle them from here on out, I don't need you getting hurt,"

"Are you sure Rin? they seem rather relentless,"

"Trust me, I can handle a little pack of adolescents," Rin scoffed as Kinzo turned and swam away.

Ten years in the open ocean, not only had become a vital part of the pack of mers he met so long ago but he had taken up raiding hunter ships for fun, as he grew being well-fed and learning how to control his magic and push the boundaries of his limits he soon became a true force to be reckoned with.

Sirens were by far the hardest to fight off, once he got rid of the sirens then it was more than easy to kill the hunters and hijack the ship. There were few battles he lost, though of course fighting does come with losing a few times, it had been years since he lost a fight with the sirens tied to the hunter's ship.

Hunters were truly blind, any siren worth their strength wouldn't submit to a hunter ship, only the weakest sirens fell prey to the charms of a hunter captain. So it is rather easy to defeat a pack of three weak sirens.

"Surrender now and we will spare you," The meek siren chirped, he was by far the largest in the group of adolescents, which was not saying much as he wasn't even half the size of Rin.

"Listen pups this is cute and all but if I were anyone else I would have killed you by now, harassing and disrupting a siren's territory is no laughing matter,"

"You won't do anything! You have been groomed by those Mers to be their pretty little pet," The leader spat, the dark scales flashing in the sunlight that broke through the water.

"Well I gave you a chance to run," Rin sighed before slipping his fangs out of the protective membrane and leaping onto the leader, the elder siren's claws dug through the soft skin of the younger as it let out a squeal in pain.

The rest of the small pack soon zipped away and Rin relented letting the small black-tailed siren pop up and swim away leaving a fresh blood trail behind him as he retreated. The small crimson line was quickly distorted by the changing tides.

Rin made sure to linger around to make sure no Sirens popped out and decided to attack the pups further, they needed to be taught a lesson but anything beyond what Rin did would just be excessive.

Soon however a Siren who had a similar dark hue in fin color arrived with a small band of other defenders. Rin held back a sigh as they approached, defenders were always so brash and loud, the silver tailed siren much preferred to talking with nesters; they were much more reasonable and calm.

"So were you the one who attacked my little brother?" The siren snarled, his tail thrashing through the water in agitation.

These sirens were larger than the others, looking to be young adults or near that stage of development, Rin still outsized the largest in the group. Being a full-grown adult helped and on top of that Rin just had an oddly long tail, he always looked a few years ahead of development but it never disadvantaged him too greatly so there was little he could complain about.

"Yeah, I didn't do anything uncalled for, he was infringing on my territory and wasn't relenting so I sent him away,"

"An attack like that is an insult to our alpha and we will overtake you and you-" Before the siren could finish his statement, however, soon too did another group of sirens approached, these seemed to be full grown and looking more threatening than the other groups.

"Punt what have I told you about starting fights with Sirens? This darling just wants to protect the land, and it's not ours to defend, besides we all know Una loves to brew trouble, leaving the sweet thing alone and go back to the nest,"