5

"You can see her now, Mr. Hardy." The nurse opened the door and allowed him in while she left the room to report everything to the doctor.

Alec moved to the chair that was next to your hospital bed. His hand brushed against yours, not wanting to wake you up, but wanting to wake you up.

"I didn't think they were ever going to let me get any visitors," you laughed hoarsely. You shuffled in your bed to try and get a better look at him, but you immediately frowned when you saw his expression. It was inscrutable. "Alec, are you alright?"

He looked to the floor, then met your eyes. His were clouded with trouble and deep thought. "I was worried about you- beyond worried about you. Chloe Latimer called me, telling me that you were talking to him, and then he put a syringe in your throat..." He ran his fingers through his hair and put his head in his hands. "If you had died, I never would've been able to..." He trailed off, lifting his head back up, the edges of his eyes brimmed with tears.

"Been able to what, Alec?" You pushed. He shook his head in an attempt to dismiss the topic. "Alec... please tell me."

Alec took in a deep breath and exhaled slowly. "When you love someone, you don't know what to think when you lose them. It feels as if something is slowly eating away at your heart." You raised an eyebrow. "In short, I love you (Y/n). A year ago, after a year of meeting with you and talking to you, I fell in love with you, okay?" He trailed off when you didn't respond. "I understand if you don't return any of this, it's completely understandable considering all of these circumstances-"

You lifted your elbow and leaned closer to him, brushing your lips against his (as much as it hurt to move). It threw him off and he didn't do anything, thinking that it was just to shut him up, but returned it after a few more moments.

The heart monitor that had been tracking your heartbeat quickened. And soon enough, Alec realized that you were both out of breath and helped you rest back onto your pillow.

"To be completely honest with you, Alec, I'm not your best choice," you sighed, turning your gaze to the ceiling. "I have a lot of issues that I don't want you to have to deal with along with me."

Alec scoffed. You turned to look at him again. His expression was quizzical and coy. "(Y/n), I think you should know by now that we both have too many issues." He grasped your hand once more and chuckled when you rolled your eyes.

"Alright then, we'll share our issues from now on. But if it ever gets too much, Hardy, you tell me."

Alec grinned. "You're on."