Prologue

Istanbul

A loud knock on the table. An impatient, frustrated, worried beat.

Ahmet was frustrated. Scratching his beard, already with several white threads, in a way to express his nervousness, hours looking at the walls of his room, hours looking at the void in the eyes of his son, Kivanç. Despite his muffled hearing, due to the whirlwind of thoughts, in the background, Ahmet could hear the various rings on the phone, several people trying to contact him, to know what really happened.

- Father ... - Kivanç called with a voice a tenth lower. "Is it a choked voice?" Ahmet wondered. Before he could finish anything, two taps on the glass door and chrome steel handle, and they were no longer alone.

- Mr. Ahmet, I'm sorry, but the superiors want more details about what happened to...

- Okay, Elcin, I'll answer. - interrupted his secretary before she even mentioned the name.

- Dad, we need to send another search team, this can't be like this! - Kivanç seemed more controlled, but no less worried.

Ahmet looked at him, pulled out the phone and motioned for him to wait. Kivanç sighed, giving up on the conversation. He preferred to be silent and leave. But not without showing his real dissatisfaction with his father's omission, when he slammed the door without kindness.

- Mr. Kivanç, can I do anything to help? - Elcin was really worried about the bosses, who since the 9 a.m call, had never been so distressed.

The small smile confirmed to Elcin that there was not much to do.

- Elcin, call Kadir, call him here, now. And if the old man leaves, let me know, please. - He didn't look at the secretary anymore when he said the last part. His sad look was on the glass door that had just knocked.

- Yes, sir. - Elcin said goodbye, preferring to leave him alone, before someone else collapsed in that agency.    

  (...)

- Kivanç. - Kadir called at the door, but did not knock.

- Kadir. - The nod was quick, from those who were in a hurry and needed a quick answer to the millions of questions that passed in their expressions. - I need a new search team, no matter how much it will cost. - Even sitting in his chair, Kivanç seemed anything but comfortable.

- Kivanç, your father did not allow a new search. - Kadir folded his hands in false obedience. Perhaps, if Kivanç was not a good observer, this character could convince him, but unfortunately for Kadir, that was not the case.

- I don't care. I want a thorough search of the entire attack site and I want the best in this case Kadir, only the best.

- And what do I do if your father comes to disallow me?

- Tell him to speak to me, directly.

- Right. - Kadir pursed his lips, uncertain, but preferred to obey his superior's order, even if it killed him to call "superior" a person who was the same age and never worked as hard as he did to be in that position.

However, one day he hoped to get the same position, the same advantages, if he knew how to play with the right pieces. After all, if Kadir could be compared to an animal, a snake would be a perfect analogy. Quiet, sneaky, waiting for the most vulnerable moment to attack.

  Before Kadir could reach the door, Beren already had part of her body in the room, regardless of permissions. Kadir opened his mouth to report the abuse, but was interrupted before he even said anything.