Chapter 9

"Oh.. try and stay away from my dad, I forgot to tell you." Shoto said

The tension rose between us and the air stood still. I chewed on the inside of my cheek as neither of us spoke.

I felt the need to break the tension and say something but before I could, Shoto reached the door knob and opened the door.

It revealed a perfectly designed abode.

Plants filling the empty corners and paintings from all around the world covering the lengths of the walls. 

Shoto flicked a few more lights on so we could navigate through the darkness.

I opened my mouth to ask if his father was even home since the house was completely silent.

Shoto quickly put his finger over my mouth implying to be quiet.

I sighed.

"If we wake up my dad i'll get in trouble, he doesn't know you're here and he doesn't let me have friends over often.." 

Shoto whispered into my ear, so quietly I'm not sure that I heard what he said correctly.

I nodded my head in agreement and followed him to what seemed to be the kitchen. 

Shoto stumbled over to the fridge and opened it, analyzing the containments. 

He walked back over to me and began whispering again, "Are you hungry? We could have snacks."

"Sure, I guess so."

He then opened the pantry and collected some foods.

A bag of chips, Dango and oreos.

He then started walking up the stairs, so again, I followed.

Our light foot tapping noises were the only thing audible.  

Once we got upstairs Shoto went towards this hallway.

We were both staring at our feet, trying to make the footsteps even quieter.

"Shoto." 

I heard a deep voice say and I quickly jerked my head up to see who it was.

A tall muscular man's silhouette was standing in the dark hallway.

Shoto looked surprised, and also terrified.

It must have been his father. Shoto told me to avoid him...

"My friend needed a place to stay tonight, so... Goodnight." Shoto said, avoiding eye contact with the man.

The man stayed completely still.
Shoto grabbed my arm gently and starting pulling me, walking past the tall man.

Before we past the tall man he put his arm out swiftly.

Stopping Shoto from walking past.

"I never gave you permission to invite friends over tonight."

I looked up at the mans face to get a clearer view.

He had red hair, just like Shoto's. 
And he had wrinkles on his face so he must have been old.

"Whatever i guess i'm sorry. But can we go to bed now?" Shoto said, rolling his eyes, being quite sassy to what I presumed to be his father.

"Pfft- You think I would let you sleep in the same bed as a girl? She sleeps on the couch, or she goes home." His father stated. Finally dropping his arm

Ouch.

Shoto looked at me then down to his feet.

The tension came back.