Chapter 17

All she could see was darkness. Rome couldn't move, she couldn't speak. There were the sounds of horses clopping against the ground behind her but she couldn't turn to see them. They got closer and closer as she stood staring into the darkness ahead of her. Rome heard yelling now as the shadows of the horses began to show in front of her. There were so many. She felt a tear fall down her cheek as she braced for the impact. Rome shut her eyes tight but instead of being hit by dozens of large animals, she was lightly knocked out of place by a woman racing past her. Not just any woman the girl realized but her mother. Suddenly finding her voice she yelled out for her but her mother did not turn just kept racing forward and disappeared into the darkness beyond. Remembering the danger behind her Rome began to run forward but she felt as though she were stuck in the mud. She was going to slow and they would catch her. She turned back now and stifled a cry as she realized the horses were dead. They had no heart, no eyes, no skin, just bones that rattled as they ran. Rome turned around and tried to run again but to no avail. The horses were a few feet away. She fell to her knees and threw her hands over her head. Everything seemed to cave in as Rome woke with a jolt.

Sweating and terrified Rome sat up and scanned the room. Sam was already up rushing to her side.

"You were moving around in your sleep. And you never move, so I thought you were having a bad dream. But you wouldn't wake up so I went to get someone but I had only just made it to the door before you did finally wake up. And now I don't know what to do. What do you need? Are you okay?"He was rambling and throwing his hands around.

Rome laughed. He stared at her disbelievingly.

"Why are you laughing? I was worried!" She smiled and drew him into a hug.

"I'm fine just a scary dream," Rome explained.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Sam asked looking into her eyes.

She turned away from his gaze and muttered "No, no we need to get ready. The final guests are arriving so soon." She walked into the bathroom and shut the door. Rome rested her hands on the sink and blew out a breath. She hadn't seen her mother in so long it was surprising she even remembered what she had looked like. But that had been Lillian in her dream last night. With her chocolate hair that curled slightly at the ends just like Rome's and her honey brown eyes, the only thing they didn't share in common. Rome just didn't understand the horses. Why were they being chased? She had always been very fond of horses and even had one of her own at the Lexington Manor.

Rome pushed the thoughts aside deciding it was her overactive imagination and instead began to focus on today. They needed to welcome all the guests with the king and queen after breakfast. Including Kind Dorian, who technically Rome was to answer to being that she was a citizen of Meah. She was especially nervous about this meeting. What would the King of Adarland have to say about Rome killing one of his Lords (twice) she didn't know. Hopefully with Aelin and Rowan help though she might be able to avoid jail time. After that Rome would go with Elide, Aelin, and Lysandra to pick out gowns to wear to tonight's festivities. Then they would spend the remaining time until the feast, which was the beginning of the celebration, making sure everything was in place and getting themselves ready.

She walked out of the bathroom and explained all of this to Sam. Who still looked worried but thankfully didn't bring it up.

"Well looks like we've got a full day." Sam said. Rome then began to suspect he was worried about more than this morning's events. He kept looking over toward the bookshelf. Perhaps he lost one of the books? Rome scoffed at the idea knowing it was more than likely.

"What are your plans?" She asked Sam. As if suddenly remembering she was there he whipped his head back to her tearing his gaze from the bookshelf.