Chapter 14:

"Are you out of your mind?" Lydia cries, waking Toulouse from his slumber.

This shocks Lydia a little. "Sorry baby." her voice is soft toward the kitten.

She wraps Toulouse in her arms and sways him gently, from side to side. "Are you crazy?" Lydia whispers to me.

I lean my elbow on the couch and I look out the window.

I am crazy. I know that staying with Ransom is not a good idea, but I don't tell Lydia. I think what really made me accept Ransom's offer was that I saw a glimpse of the Ransom I fell in love with. I saw him that night I spent with him two weeks ago. I saw my Ransom. I saw him again when Ransom's voice was shaking, urging me to stay with him. I know I can get the old Ransom back. The one who used to shower me with gifts and who used to show me how much he loved me. I do admit to myself, the gifts Ransom gave me were not that important to me. The one true gift I felt that I received...was Ransom. I can remember one day in the Fall season, I arrived at Ransom's house and tears were falling down my cheeks. Ransom immediately stood up and wraps his arms around me. He asked me why I was crying while he caressed my back. I told him that my friend at the time criticized a short story I wrote. This friend of mine had already published 2 books at this time that I knew him. After he read my short story, he told me that I will never make it as an author because my writing did not make sense, and my writing style was awful. I ran straight to Ransom's house after this friend of mine criticized me. I wrapped my arms around him while I let my tears dry. Ransom whispered in my ear about how much he loved me and that he promised that he would never make me cry – sadly, he broke that promise.

This was the time when Ransom officially introduced me to Harlan. I was skeptical at first to let Harlan read my short story, but after Harlan read the synopsis, he was intrigued. Harlan praised my short story and that was when he asked me to think about writing a novel. This was a memory I cherished. This was when I knew I loved to write, and this was the time when Ransom could cuddle next to me, no matter who we were visiting...

"Earth to Evelyn." I hear Lydia's voice.

I blink back to the present. I zoned out, completely oblivious to what was happening around me. Lydia was sitting next to me, holding Toulouse in her arms.

"Did you hear me?" Lydia asks, waving her hand in my face.

"Yes, yes." I sigh. "How could I stay with Ransom for 7 days, but come on. Ransom had a point." I cover my mouth immediately. Did...I just defend Ransom? Yes I did. You idiot!

"What point would that be?" Lydia arches a brow, placing Toulouse on the couch.

I sigh. "I only agreed with Ransom because he would not stop. It would have just been a back and forth argument. Besides, if I refused his offer, he would have barged into your house and then you both would end up in a screaming much." I explain. There I go defending Ransom once again.

"I also don't wish for you two to be fighting over me. I am no prize to fight over and honestly, I am not worth fighting for." I add.

Lydia nearly falls off the couch. She places her hand over her heart. "How...how can you...WOW!" she furrows in disappointment.

I sigh quietly. "Lydia..."

"How can you say something like that? You don't matter? Just..." Lydia picks Toulouse up and places him in his basket.

"Lydia..." I repeat her name.

"You do realize that I love you so much right? You are my best friend, and I don't like it when my best friend comes back weeping after spending time with her ex. An ex who has hurt her too many times. An ex who hurt her the last time she spent just one night with him." I can see Lydia's eyes are looking glossy. She is on the verge of crying. I don't like to see Lydia cry, because then I start crying, and then it'll end up us two sitting on the couch watching sad movies.