At Least I'm Trying (FrostIron)

Loki had remained on Earth as a punishment for his crimes. All the Avengers could see he was trying to be better, but sometimes he would randomly space out and then would behave questionably. The erratic behavior had caused Tony to try and keep an eye on him.

Currently Tony was in his workshop, upgrading one of his suits. The security screen to his left was focused on Loki, who was sitting in his room. Tony glanced up at the screen, then did a double take.

"J, what is Loki doing?"

"He appears to be crying, sir."

Tony frowned, setting down the wrench he was holding. He debated checking on the god for a moment before deciding he should. After all, he understood what it was like to be seen as the villain when you were trying to heal.

"J, lock the shop door behind me." Tony hated people in his workshop.

"Of course."

Tony stepped into the hall, looking around. No one else seemed to be around at the moment. Slowly, Tony made his way over to the door to Loki's room, tapping hesitantly. The door swung open and Loki stared at him from the other side.

"What." There were tear tracks all down the god's cheeks. Tony sighed at the sight of his blank eyes.

"Can I come in?"

"Why not." Loki stepped back, sitting down on the side of his desk. Tony walked in, closing the door behind him.

"What are you struggling with?"

"What do you mean?" Loki's expression went from blank to close and guarded.

"You've been crying. Something is wrong. I know what it's like to be trying to heal and change and to have the whole world against you, you can talk to me." Loki sighed.

"It's just... as a child I knew I was as good as Thor, maybe even better in some places. But the Allfather told me I was useless, a waste. So I tried to prove I wasn't a waste, tried to prove it was greatness within me... And now I'm here."

"You've internalized the thought of being broken." Tony said. Loki nodded.

"It's hard to adjust. I just... feel horrible. About what I've done, about everything I didn't do, about all my mistakes and missed opportunities. It feels like I am a mistake, you know. Sorry... I shouldn't be pouring this out to you." Loki started to stand, but Tony held out his hand.

"It's okay. You are trying. That is good. As long as you keep trying, you're doing well." Tony went to the god, picking up his hands. "You are not broken. You are not a mistake. You are more than the wrong you've done. And you are beautiful." Loki took his hands back, fidgeting with the edge of his shirt as Tony stepped closer.

The two's eyes met, warm brown and vivid green. Loki hesitated before reaching to touch the side of Tony's face. "Thank you for that... I needed it today."

"Of course." Tony felt the cool of the god's skin against his cheek, leaning in. "And I meant it when I said you're beautiful." The words were barely a whisper. Loki smiled, leaning in and closing the distance between them.

After a moment, Tony pulled back, smiling at Loki. "Just keep trying, and keep being beautiful. That's all I ask." Loki grinned at Tony.

"I can do that, for you."