Chapter 11 - Days Later

Early in the morning, Lan Zhan stomped his way within the hallway, footsteps echoing through its walls. The moment his eyes landed on Wei Ying, Lan Zhan speedily made a U-turn, darting for the first doorknob his hand could reach. Once in, Lan Zhan bolted the door shut, trying to soothe his racing heart.

It’s been a little over a week. Nine days to be exact since Lan Zhan’s little break down all because of his damaged brother, which prompted him to seek comfort in the arms of Wei Ying. 

It’s not like Lan Zhan didn’t like the feeling of Wei Ying’s limbs wrapped securely around him, or the silent hum of Wei Ying’s pleasant singing that Lan Zhan found himself wanting to hear over and over again. Or the scent of lotus igniting off of Wei Ying’s very core that Lan Zhan could not seem to get enough of. No, in fact, Lan Zhan loved those feelings, and these passing days, he appeared to crave Wei Ying’s touch much more.

But what would Wei Ying say if he found out Lan Zhan harnessed romantic affections for him? Lan Zhan kept reminding himself that Wei Ying hated his guts for turning Wei Ying into a monster. So Lan Zhan had been avoiding or at least trying to dodge Wei Ying ever since he’d wept in Wei Ying’s arms.

Though living in the same house, they frequently bumped into each other whenever neither one of them was looking. Wei Ying might be attending school on a regular basis again, but they still had to eat together during breakfast and dinner hours. During those times, Lan Zhan rarely spoke, and Wei Ying hardly said anything.  

If Lan Zhan could, he would probably smack himself into seclusion for the rest of his life, but he could not, so instead, Lan Zhan spent his days running from one room to the next like a madman while trying to hide his dishearten state.

----------

When Wei Ying was off to school, Lan Zhan found himself sitting beside Xichen. There Lan Zhan would let his troubles out, knowing his brother could not hear them. 

With Lan Zhan's mind clouded with thoughts of Xichen, a future attack from an alpha pack, Wei Ying’s upcoming transformation on the next full moon another week from now, Wei Ying’s annoying - pestering brother Jiang Cheng, and his undying feelings for Wei Ying. Lan Zhan let it all out.

When done expressing his hidden emotions, shame sometimes embraced Lan Zhan.  

----------

Wei Ying, however, saw right through Lan Zhan’s attempt at masking the weight that’s been dumped onto him. Wei Ying saw more than he would like to, and it's driving him crazy. All he wanted to do was comfort Lan Zhan, make him feel better, but the damn werewolf had been avoiding Wei Ying, and Wei Ying was still trying to understand why. Did Lan Zhan despise him that much? Was he too irritating?

Since Lan Zhan’s been shunning him, Wei Ying decided not to tell Lan Zhan about the changes that appear to have occurred in the most unusual time. His sight had gotten better, not to mention his canines had grown half an inch longer. 

Wei Ying scent detection appeared to have taken a toll, for he could not stop thinking about how Lan Zhan sandalwood fragrance that no one seemed to have noticed, as the best scent in the whole world - except for Wei Ying. 

Other than Jiang cheng, who Wei Ying tried to get his younger brother to sniff at Lan Zhan when the werewolf wasn’t watching to confirm Wei Ying was right about Lan Zhan’s scent, no one else knew about these minor changes. And Wei Ying didn’t want to add more pressure on the werewolf, given Lan Zhan’s swollen eyes haven’t gone down since that night. If anything, Wei Ying was sure there were no eyes left to look into anymore. Lan Zhan's once radiant golden eyes seem to have shrunken so much, Wei Ying was certain the werewolf no longer has eyes. 

----------

Today, however, ended much differently than the passing days for Lan Zhan. Once again, he found himself crying bitter tears inside his room. 

Lan Zhan found out his brother might not wake at all. No matter how much pain Lan Zhan and Nie Mingjue took from his unconscious brother, Lan Xichen had not stirred a bit. Mingjue told him to prepare for the worst, which Lan Zhan did. 

----------

It was just after four in the afternoon, Wei Ying came back from school. There was no sense in staying overtime. Wei Ying no longer has a part in the school's theater program, and despite Jiang Cheng's nagging at Wei Ying to stay and watch him practice, Wei Ying decided to ditch Jiang Cheng, complaining he doesn't want to stick around watching another one of Jiang Cheng's boring track and field afternoon exercise. 

Like most days, since Lan Xichen's untimely mishap, Lan Zhan's home felt dull when entering. No life, Wei Ying would say. And like most days after school, Wei Ying made it a habit to peep inside Lan Zhan's room when no one's looking. Sometimes he would get caught by Jiang Cheng and be scolded for being too nosey, and sometimes he would get caught by Lan Zhan, who only revealed a shy smile before swiftly marching away or respectfully shutting the door. 

And today was no different. However, like nine days ago, Wei Ying heard crying. 

Wei Ying sighed. He had plenty of this depressing Lan Zhan and this gloomy home. Though Lan Zhan might not like him, Wei Ying had no intention of staying in a house with a walking corpse. It was time to cheer Lan Zhan up, make him feel whole again, or at least try. 

"Lan Zhan," Wei Ying busted open the front door, startling Lan Zhan. 

Wiping away at the fallen tears. "What are you doing in here?" Lan Zhan said, trying to stifle out his weeping voice.

"Nothing," Wei Ying blinked innocently, fluttering his eyelashes, and dropping his backpack on the floor. 

Lan Zhan, "Then leave."

Wei Ying pouted, flopping himself beside Lan Zhan on the bed, "No. How was your day? Mine wasn't too good, I think Wen Chao's planning to get back at me for what I did to him. Lan Zhan, you should see his face -"

"Wei Ying, I'm not well," Lan Zhan sighed. Expressing his feelings was never one of Lan Zhan's traits, but when it came to Wei Ying, Lan Zhan just couldn't help himself.

"I know," Wei Ying responded, "that's why I'm here, to make you feel better. Lan Zhan, what do you say?" Wei Ying smiled, showcasing his pearly white teeth, and Lan Zhan melted.

Lan Zhan took another sniff at his nose, "Okay." 

----------

They stayed beside each other, the seconds turning into minutes, neither saying a word to the other. Wei Ying wanted to talk, but Lan Zhan simply kept crying - silently, leaving Wei Ying unsure of what to do. He didn't want to make the same mistake as last time, Lan Zhan might snap at him this time.

Eventually, the air around began to suffocate Wei Ying. Thinking of ways he could brighten Lan Zhan up, Wei Ying clicked at his fingers when an idea popped into his head. "Lan Zhan, go out with me - tonight!" Wei Ying tugged at Lan Zhan's arm. 

Apparently confused, with pouty lips, Lan Zhan wiped at his eyes where the tears stained. Wei Ying tsked, pushing Lan Zhan's hand away, replacing it with his own as he began wiping at all the ever-flowing trails of tears. "Really?" Lan Zhan whispered, inhaling Wei Ying's calming fragrance.

"Of course!" Wei Ying threw an arm over the older man's shoulder, bringing Lan Zhan closer. "First, we'll go get ice-cream. Then we can go for a walk in the park. Then, straight to the movies. It'll be fun."

Lan Zhan hummed, "hmm," and nodded. For the first time in a long time, Wei Ying caught a glimpse of a smile. 

Wei Ying sighed contentedly. Finally, things were beginning to change. "Don't worry, Lan Zhan. Your brother will be alright." Lan Zhan buried his head in the crock of Wei Ying's neck, Wei Ying allowed it, and Lan Zhan nodded, believing whatever his Wei Ying said.

If you've enjoyed this chapter, please vote & comment. ps: this chapter was difficult to write.