33 | Maryam

❀❀❀

33

"Inshallah, we will let you know the final decision in a couple of days," Aunty Asma said, heading out. We told our Salaams, and everyone left. The second the door closed, I whipped my hijab off, sighing in relief. The night went well after Zayn and I talked. Most of my jitters were gone, but I still felt very anxious with everyone's questions and stares. I could barely even eat.

"So, what do you think?" Bhai asked, crossing his arms over his chest as I ran upstairs.

"Haye, let the girl think," Bhabi said as I closed the door, not bothering to respond. I took off the itchy salwar kameez and sat on the ground—my back towards the wall and my head in my knees.

What did I think? Did I see a future with him? It was a lot to take in; I liked all of his responses to my questions. He answered with confidence and spoke generously about the things he enjoyed. I agreed with all of his opinions and decisions when it came to finances and raising a family. But I still was scared. What if it was all a facade? What if the second we got married, he treated me differently? What if he judges my past? Do I marry him?

I was so into my thoughts I didn't even notice Mama sitting beside me, her arms wrapped around me. "What do I do, Mama?"

"Ask your creator" She responded, "Do istikhara" she got up and then left.

So I did.

❀❀

I was in a garden; everything was bright and warm. My flowy white dress danced in the cool breeze as I skipped through the flower garden. As I looked ahead, all I saw was bright lights. The atmosphere up ahead seemed to be joyful and happy. I started running, running towards the light. A Voice whispered, "Trust your lord."

"That's all?" Zara asked, "I thought the dream would tell you straight up if you should marry him or not," I rolled my eyes. I wish it were that simple.

"I think it's a good sign Saima," Mama said, stirring the pot of Haleem.

"Me too, I think you should say yes," Bhabi said, "Unless there's something else that's stopping you," She said, narrowing her eyes on me.

"We're you happy talking to him? Did he answer your questions properly?"

I nodded, "I couldn't find a single flaw in his answers - besides the fact he like strawberry ice cream," I said gagging, fruit and ice cream should not mix.

Mama laughed, "So what's stopping you, Habibti?" I sighed. I didn't know there wasn't anything stopping me besides my anxiety.

"Nothing, Mama," I said, wrapping my arms around her waist.

"Do you think he's ugly? Or is his personality bad" Bhabi asked, shoving an oreo in her mouth.

I shook my head, blushing; he was not ugly, that's for sure.

"Should we accept the proposal then?" Mama asked, all excited.

I thought about it for a second. If my Istikhara was positive, then how could I ignore it? It was a sign from Allah.

"Yes, we can accept the proposal, BUT I want to hear what their decision is before we say ours."

Then everyone started to scream and jump,

"Oh my Allah, my baby is getting married."

"Oh my god!! YAY"

"Oh my god, I can finally get rid of Appi!" I punched Zara for that comment.

"Who's getting married?" Bhai asked, stepping into the kitchen, "Saima said yes!" Bhabi exclaimed, jumping around. My poor niece was probably shaking and bouncing in there.

"Oh my god, should I call them?"

"No, not until they call us," I said sternly. I do not want to have to deal with rejection.

Everyone started congratulating me and teasing me - even though nothing was official yet.

Through all the commotion, we failed to notice Bhabi until she screamed,

"THE BABY IS COMING"

❀❀

"I'm going to be a Dad I'm going to be a Dad," Bhai kept muttering, pacing all over the waiting room.

We had now been in the Hospital for hours, Bhabi started getting contractions, and we drove to the Hospital. She's been in labor for nearly 5 hours and has only dilated by 5 cm, so she still has a long way to go. I was cuddled up in the chair beside Zara as Bhai was in and out of Bhabi's room.

"How is she?" Aunty Asma said, running to Mama, with Uncle, Zayn, Rukaiya, and Fatima trailing behind her. I quickly tried to look presentable, but that was hard since I was in a hoodie and sweats. The twins took a seat across from Zara and me while Zayn tried calming down a stressed-out Bhai.

A couple of hours later, the doctor called Bhai in as it was time for Bhabi to give birth. Maya aunty sat beside me, her Tasbeeh in her hand as she did dhikr. Zayn, Rukaiya, and Fatima sat across from us, not muttering a single word. Bhabi's screams could be heard loud and clear, making all of us cringe. I rested my head on Zara's shoulder, praying that everything would be okay.

❀❀

It was nearing Fajr, so I went to the Hospital's prayer room and prayed. We had been here all night, and I was exhausted. When I went back to the waiting room, Maya aunty was still doing dhikr, and everyone else was asleep - besides Zayn, who was on his phone, taking a bite out of a muffin. When he saw me, he reached to the iced coffee beside him and passed it to me, "Here you must be exhausted."

I gently took the coffee from his hands, "Jazakallah, and I am," I said with a small smile, sitting down a couple of seats across from him.

"Wa iyyak," He mumbled. The awkward silence after that was horrifying. So I just awkwardly sat there.

Eventually, Bhabi's Doctor came, her once white gown now drenched in blood. Causing all of us to be frightened. My palms started to sweat, and I anxiously started tapping my feet, waiting for her to begin talking,

"There were complications, she did lose a lot of blood, but Mama and the Baby are doing okay now." Dr. Sandra said with a grin. I sighed Alhamdulillah.

Eventually, in pairs, we were able to visit Bhabi and my new niece. We let Mama and Maya aunty go first, and then Zara and I went.

We walked into the room to see Bhabi sitting on the bed looking exhausted, her hair loosely covered in a hijab. Bhai sat beside her in a chair, gently holding his new daughter. She was wrapped in a light pink blanket and was adorable.

"Saima, she has your hair," Bhabi whispered, ushering us in. It was true she had lots of dark hair covering her tiny head.

Bhai got up, and Zara sat in his chair as he passed her the Baby. I took a seat beside her. Her doe eyes were wide open as she stared at Zara. "What's her name," I asked, not taking my eyes off this adorable munchkin.

Bhai and Bhabi exchanged a look,

"Fupi's, meet Maryam Rahman."

❀❀❀